Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letters from the Front

Hi guys,
    I picked up these letters awhile back and attemted to translate them but only got rough translations on two of them.
    Most seem to be from or to Bulgaria, Sofia in particular....some are dated 1937,1938,1940,1943 and 1944. The envelopes have an assortment of stamps on them and I assuming censor tape...used to reseal the envelope after passing them.
    One letter appears to be from some sort of theatre and it contains a letter with two tickets.

Can anyone share with me any information, regarding these letters??
    If anyone is interested in translating some of them I could email some scans of the letters themselves.

The following translations are rough and the translators comments are in brackets.

Letter Translation 1
    Dear sister !

with a note stating subject to postage, I just received the attached letter, so more then likely letters written later will return to me aswell and it not being my fault, you had to wait so long for any news.

It is probably better this way as I now have more news about Edi, he writes that he is feeling better now. He received grenade fragments in his hands and feet and is in hospital.
    You can write to him here : Corporal Edi Flachournier (? hard to read)
    Reserve Hospital, room 17, Gaesdonk bei Goch, Lower Rhine.

I too were lucky to survive the battle and to be healthy. I have to keep thinking this way.
    Unfortunatly my car aswell as my belongings were lost aswell that at the time with my Rinkel ( a bag where my stuff was in ) I respited my existence. (I suppose sort of lucky to be alive)
    But also that will continue.
    Hopefully the luck in the war stays with us for when the british come.

Regarding my wish that you were going to send me, I must tell you honestly I don't know, yes a lighter I would need urgently,
    for cigarretes you know. Better then alcohol (good for malaria).
    It's lucky that I still have some postage stamps to write home, otherwise it would have taken longer !
    Well I can greet you from the heart, (in normal english would be something like, with warm greetings)

Your Karl

Letter 2 Translation
    Dear Sister

Will start with the bad news, Edi is injured, don't know anymore then that either as I have not recieved any news of him for three weeks.
    Steffi wrote me, that a comrad of Edi wrote her, that he was injured, but lacks further details aswell. Thanks to him Edi has my feldpost number 41025 it is and so I myself am waiting daily for post from home or him. Will keep you up to date.
    Hopefully at least some news will reach home, has been at the Kuban Bridgehead all this time, (cant make out this part)

Thanks for the parcel aswell as the bb(?) lines, that I got for several (??) days. Really want you to give more details about Edi, but making myself wait for more news because it takes ages for the post to reach you from there and the other way around.

Steffi is also complaining that she has not received any mail from you in a while. And I myself offcourse would like to get more news of your well-being. Before I forget, Mitzi Poiss (Weger) has a little boy and is happy.

Can imagine that the "three men" give all kinds of things for the young ones but mainly that you are all healthy and stay healthy.
    Yeah, I can imagine being there with you guys.
    Obviously I should not be thinking about that.
    As soon as this letter has been written I will be one of the men who are posted the furtherst away from home.
    I always say : "When the stumic is happy, so is the person" and we can't really complain about the food. During the war years we learn to settle for less with our personal desires, what only would be justified through victory and peace.
    Sure enough just later on we will have enough time to think, but yeah we are not getting any younger without getting older and nevertheless then you can think about being back at home.
    But it has no point to write about it and when Niki is not behaving (as in being naughty like a child not listening) I wont go for a stroll with her anymore.
    Wether she still has them ?
    Anyways give my regards to uncle and thanks alot for the wishes and greetings from Miltscho (?????) who I will repay gladly.

My dear little sister, wishing you all the best on your name day and lots of greetings of your brother Karl.

PS When you have the chance, give Mark Georgieff my regards.

Also if the other letter should arrive with the entrance stamps (?) still in them then please send them home. By the way, wrote Steffi aswell. Hope all is well at home when I wrote. Karl.

The Feldpost number of Edi is offcourse obsolete with the present address

Translation of Theatre letter.
    Honourable gentlemen,

It would be an honour for us if you would come on the 24.09.44 to the Josef Nowaka play of "A woman and three girls".
    The tickets will be available from the directors office until the 21st.
    Attached Files

close
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

/////////
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

reverse
            Attached Files

Comment

Theatre Letter and tickets.
              Attached Files

Comment

Interesting lot Jeff, I suppose the censor tape was more common
                later in the war, more chance of the troops bitching about the conduct of
                the war, rarther than just poor food or no cigs.

Usual worries of a man in war, and the bloody jobsworth at the P.O.
                revenue protection branch

Nice lot, thanks for posting.

Cheers,
                John.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X