Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 Engagement Panzer Doc Group

All:
    I had this nice "25" grade of panzer tank badge in silver all with the guys other award docs. Can someone point me towards where I could find out something about his unit? His discharge certificate is in with the group so it appears to me that he wound up in the hands of the Russians at some point because there is some russian writing on the back of the certificate. Any ideas?
    Attached Files

More docs

More docs.....
    Attached Files

Comment

POW certificate......

More pics......
      Attached Files

Comment

One more pic.....

One more pic......
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice little set. The most basic places to start are www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de, and www.feldgrau.com. You can also google the unit, find something there perhaps.

best
          Hank
          Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
          ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

I will give that a try. Thank you for the help.

Comment

Formed in 1940 and assigned to the 20th Panzer Division. This division suffered very heavy losses in Army Groups Centre and South Ukraine in 1944. Surrendered to the Soviets in Czechoslovakia in May 1945.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the info. Its a good starting point for me as I begin my research.

Regards

Comment

It is amazing that he stayed with PR 21 (20.PD) thru so much of the war considering how beat up that unit was. It is also amazing how he never achieved any real rank. He must have had no education and no leadership potential - or a big mouth. I still think it is a nice grouping.

He was discharged in the West, but PWs were expected to return to their homes. In his case, his home was apparently in the East, possibly in or near Leipzig. The Russian stamp probably was from the occupation authorities in his hometown. There is no telling if he actually stayed there for long - but obviously some did or else East Germany would have been empty!

Thanks for posting it.

Oops - the discharge paper has his hometown as Satzung/Erzgebirge. That is south of Chemnitz - but it makes sense he went thru Leipzig to get there.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,753 at 04:21 PM on Today.

Working...
                  X