Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wach Regt Berlin

Hi Mike,

I'll make sure that Jim Haley sees your comments. Do you have a link to your site?

As I was looking at the History of the Regt I noticed someone familiar.Hauptmann Evert (I think thats correct). Anyway I have a signed photo as Company Chef 8/IR GD. In the history hes listed as being the "S" Heavy Company.I think the 8th Company is the same thing as the heavy Company. The picture is stamped on the back in red ink and wouldn't scan.

H.WOLTER
    BILD-BERICHTERSTATTLER
    BERLIN-WITTENAU
    IM WOLFSGARTENFELD 16

DIESE PHOTO
    DARF FUR ILLUSTRATIONEN
    IRGEND WELCHER ART OHNE
    UNSERE (CAN'T READ)
    NICHT VERWENDET WERDEN

The pic
    Attached Files

Comment

Wach Regt Berlin

Heres a cropped shot of the head from the history page.
      Attached Files

Comment

Wach Regt Berlin

Heres a cropped picture from the photo I have.Definately the same officer. I tried to do a side by side comparison but couldn't figure it out.
        Attached Files

Comment

Name is "Ewert".

URL for my site is: http://www.geocities.com/~orion47

~ Mike

Comment

scott
            CSP

sigpic

Comment

Hi djpool,

Fantastic pics and history. Could you tell me what is the name of the officer on the first page? Was he the company commander of 1st company or regimental commander since the remaining seven pcitures went with companies 2 to 8? Also what's the name of the company commander for company 5, Hoebel?

thank you in advance

Elwyn

Comment

Generalmajor Ewert

Hauptmann Wolf Ewert of 8./Wach-Regiment Berlin went on to greater things. Promoted Major on 1 Jun 1941, Oberstleutnant on 30 Apr 1943 (1 Apr 1943), Oberst on 20 Aug 1944 (1 Jun 1944) and Generalmajor on 1 Mar 1945 (18). He commanded Grenadier-Regiment 196 from 1 Dec 1942 - 4 Oct 1943 and Grenadier-Regiment 274 from 1 Feb 1944 - 3 Sep 1944. Awarded the German Cross in Gold on the 1st of November 1943 and the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on the 18th of July 1944 he ended the war as the commander of the 338th Infantry Division surrendering to US forces on the 15th of April 1945. Born on the 31st of July 1905 in Stralsund, he died on the 16th of March 1994 at Bad Nauheim.

Regards
                Glenn

Comment

Alten

Elwyn,

the guy on the first page appears to be the later Generalmajor Hans-Henning von Alten who was the commanding officer of the Wach-Regiment in 1937 - 1939.

Regards
                  Glenn

Comment

Hi Glenn,

Defintely von Alten. You can recognize the name in the caption of the lower left hand picture! Thank you very much.

Cheers
                    Elwyn

Comment

Ewert

Originally posted by Elwyn
                      Hi Glenn,

Defintely von Alten. You can recognize the name in the caption of the lower left hand picture! Thank you very much.

Cheers
                      Elwyn
                      Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the information on Ewert. I never realized that he had such a distinguished war record. Now I'm even happier that I bought the photo.Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,

In addition to von Alten and Ewert, Georg Hofmeister also made it to GenMj. Could you tell me who's company commander of 5th Company?

Cheers
                        Elwyn

Comment

Question

I was wondering, I have a wehrpass with a entry of Standort - BTL ZBV Berlin II and 1/standort Batl. 3. zbv Berling- is this the same kompanie?

Regards,

JRA

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X