Help please on ID of Polish uniforms photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please on ID of Polish uniforms photos

The photos are not mine, and are not going to be for sale. They are photos of family members of a friend of mine who is not a collector. I have been scanning them to do digital repair to them for my co-worker friend. Her father is one of the people in the photos, and I am not aware at this point what relation the others are to her. Her father managed to make it from Poland in WW2 to join the British Army as a Polish volunteer. Her mother was taken from Poland and sent to work in Germany. Her father and mother met in Germany at the end of the war, and my friend was born in Germany while her father was on occupation with the British Army. He stayed in the British Army and made it his career.......later the family came to the U.S. and my friend enlisted in the USAF gaining her citizenship. She met and married her husband while they both were in the USAF, and have since leaving the USAF lived in Ohio. She is doing family research and obtained these photos from her father's estate, and some from family still in Poland. She doesn't know about the uniforms, rank, branch, and insignia, and would like to learn what she can about them so she can complete information on who they were.

She would be most appreciative for any identification you can provide on them.

Thanks,
    Ron

1. This is a photo of a family painting that is still in Poland that she hopes to be able to acquire one day.

3. This is her father.

4. This one may have served in the German army in WW1. She is also very interested in what the badge is that looks like a swastika. I am told he was captured, maybe by the Russians, and died in captivity.

First off post these on the international forum and you will most likely get the guys Service # shoe size etc as there are some very very keen collectors there

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...splay.php?f=15

But looking at the pics

1) Most likely a painting as a graduate military cadet school or commissioning
    2) Captain (looks like a line regiment)
    3) Major with II Polish Corps
    4) Post WWI picture of a war of liberation vet I do not think he served with the Germans looks like he has the liberation medal and I think maybe he is a col with Polish legion??

Any of 1,2, or 4 Might of died in Russian captivity if they were active in WWII or on a NKVD list and captured by the Russians perhaps he was a victim at Katyn but in WWII period not WWI.

The Swaz badge I think has something to do with the Tatra Highlands' Riflemen but I am only going on meory here.

here is a good link on the history of that period

http://home.golden.net/~medals/1918-1921war.html
    http://home.golden.net/~medals/polish.html
    Last edited by byterock; 01-30-2008, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron C. View Post
      The photos are not mine, and are not going to be for sale. They are photos of family members of a friend of mine who is not a collector. I have been scanning them to do digital repair to them for my co-worker friend. Her father is one of the people in the photos, and I am not aware at this point what relation the others are to her. Her father managed to make it from Poland in WW2 to join the British Army as a Polish volunteer. Her mother was taken from Poland and sent to work in Germany. Her father and mother met in Germany at the end of the war, and my friend was born in Germany while her father was on occupation with the British Army. He stayed in the British Army and made it his career.......later the family came to the U.S. and my friend enlisted in the USAF gaining her citizenship. She met and married her husband while they both were in the USAF, and have since leaving the USAF lived in Ohio. She is doing family research and obtained these photos from her father's estate, and some from family still in Poland. She doesn't know about the uniforms, rank, branch, and insignia, and would like to learn what she can about them so she can complete information on who they were.

She would be most appreciative for any identification you can provide on them.

Thanks,
      Ron

1. This is a photo of a family painting that is still in Poland that she hopes to be able to acquire one day.

3. This is her father.

4. This one may have served in the German army in WW1. She is also very interested in what the badge is that looks like a swastika. I am told he was captured, maybe by the Russians, and died in captivity.
      Hi,
      On 1 foto - member of the one Russian Ulans regiment (I dont see his epaleute).
      On 2 foto - i dont any idea about his uiform. but his extreme right order - Order for Bravery Russian units ataman Bulak-Bulachovich.

Regards from Russia

Comment

Thanks byterock for the help and suggestion. I have posted them together with some more photos and corrected information in the International Forum, as you suggested, hopefully, it will produce some more information for her. I saw her today and work and got a little better info.........like she was born in England not Germany ec.. Also her mother managed to get where she could join the Polish forces also as a driver. She said before managing to get out of Poland to join up with the Polish forces, her father also had been in the Polish underground and she got some of those papers out of his estate as well.

Ron

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X