c1913 postcard with swastika stamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

c1913 postcard with swastika stamp?

I know this item is not Wehrmacht era, but I kind of do not think it really fits into the Imperial Forum, but if Moderators think it more appropriate to move it there, then of course please feel free to do so ... anyhow, here we go: I got a postcard, which was issued by the Bund der Deutschen in Niederoesterreich and it carries a donation stamp for 2 Mark issued by the Deutscher Schaffer-Bund and that stamp has a large swastika on it, but the card was postally used and it has a postal cancellation from 1913. I did not think that the swastika was used by German national organisations that early on??? does anyone know any more about this or about the Deutscher Schaffer-Bund?

With the card came an enamelled stickpin, which looks like it was issued by the Deutscher Turnerbund or the Deutsche Turnerschaft. Does anyone know if or how this stickpin may be related to either the Bund der deutschen in Niederoesterreich or the Deutscher Schaffer-Bund?

Any suggestions and help are more than welcome Cheers, Torsten.

PS: I will also post a similar question in the pins forum.

First pick up is the front of the card...nothing too special here
    Attached Files
    Last edited by torstenbel; 01-27-2008, 07:47 PM.

pic of the back of the card ...
    Attached Files

Comment

the stickpin
      Attached Files

Comment

and here is the swastika donation stamp from the Deutscher Schaffer-Bund
        Attached Files

Comment

During those far times the swastika was not a political symbol, and after WW2 it have attributed to HITLER, but it to it has no attitude actually.
          And this hairpin belonged to Deutsche Turnerschaft (DT based in 1868. The sign on a flag means the motto of these gymnasts (FFFF): Frisch Fromm Fröhlich Frei.
          Correct me if I am mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldgrey View Post
            During those far times the swastika was not a political symbol, and after WW2 it have attributed to HITLER, but it to it has no attitude actually.
            And this hairpin belonged to Deutsche Turnerschaft (DT based in 1868. The sign on a flag means the motto of these gymnasts (FFFF): Frisch Fromm Fröhlich Frei.
            Correct me if I am mistaken.
            Hi there, thank you for your reply. I do know about history and background of the swastika, but here it is clearly being used as a symbol by a presumably political German Nationalistic Organisation as early as 1913 and that is news to me that it was used for this purpose so early on. The pin could either be from the Deutsche Turnerschaft or from the Deutsche Turnerbund, but I do not know which? Do you have any reference that shows this pin as having been issued by the Deutsche Turnerschaft? I could not find the pin in Heeren-Huesken or any other reference that I own. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X