Unknown Ace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Ace

Would anyone know who is on this picture?
    Can clearly see that he is the owner of RK and there was a lot of them in Luftwaffe,but anyway maybe somebody can recognize?
    Thanx!
    Attached Files

Alfred Grislawski

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Toner View Post
      Alfred Grislawski

John
      No way?Do u know for sure???Thanx a million!!!

Comment

Fantastic portrait!

Jack

Comment

Well if this is really him so im lucky to have this picture!
          Maybe experts could assure me if its original now?
          Here is the back of it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is once again
            Attached Files

Comment

It looks good to me. Very, very few counterfeiters would go to the trouble of faking the scrapbook glue evidence on the back.

BUT, are you absolutely sure it's Alfred Grislawski, DOB 02.11.1919, RK 01.07.1942, EL 11.04.1944? There is a nice photo of him at the bottom of p.69 in Ernst Obermaier's Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe: Jagdflieger 1939-1945 (Mainz: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann, 1966), and the fellow in your photo doesn't look anything at all like the photo in the book. According to this photo, taken in 1944 after he was awarded the Eichenlaub, Grislawski was medium height with a slightly chunky build and had a round face with blond or light brown hair. You could even say he was rather "boyish" looking. Does this famous book, faithfully used by researchers for the past 41 years, have the wrong photo?

--Larry

Comment

photo and brief bio of Grislawski

http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de/index_...ord=Grislawski

Comment

UNBELIEVEABLE difference between the Obermaier photo and the web site photo, yet both taken between April 1944 and the end of the war.

--Larry

Comment

Hi Larry

I have (scanned) versions of the photo above and the one from Obermaier and the one from das-ritterkreuz.de, and they are all similarly signed "A Grislawski". It is him.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Toner View Post
                      Hi Larry
                      I have (scanned) versions of the photo above and the one from Obermaier and the one from das-ritterkreuz.de, and they are all similarly signed "A Grislawski". It is him.
                      John
                      Okay. The poster's photo and the one on the site look similar enough for me to agree that they are the same person. But the one in Obermaier sure looks different to me. I have the original 1966 first edition of Obermaier, which I believe was revised and republished around 1987 or 1988. Do you suppose the 1st edition has the wrong photo and this was corrected in the 2d edition? Obermaier completely reworked the 2d edition and I recall some discussion in the "letters to the editor" section of Flugzeug magazine at that time to the effect that some of the photos were changed. Perhaps that's what happened with Grislawski.

--Larry

Comment

Well,if its him then its a very good piece of history,but only if its original.
                        For me it does look so 100 %,but maybe there are some other opinions?
                        Also here is a web site about Grislawski,does he look like the one on my foto?especially have a look picture on the bottom of the site. (only one bagde is missing on the uniform).

http://www.defendingarnhem.com/Grislawski.htm

Comment

Hi Larry

I only have the later Obermaier, so I'm afraid I don't know what photo was used in the 1966 edition. Perhaps the photo was changed, as you say.

John

Comment

Thanx lads for help!So what do u think is it original or could be not?

Comment

Originally posted by voffka0503 View Post
                              Well,if its him then its a very good piece of history,but only if its original.
                              For me it does look so 100 %,but maybe there are some other opinions?
                              Also here is a web site about Grislawski,does he look like the one on my foto?especially have a look picture on the bottom of the site. (only one bagde is missing on the uniform).

http://www.defendingarnhem.com/Grislawski.htm
                              Look at the shape of his visor hat in this link and the photo above... it got the same shape, the shape of a well used visor

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X