Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arbeitsbuch Question.

Hello all,

I have a question about the issue and keeping of Arbeitsbuch.
    Presumably these were issued by a person's local Arbeitsamt, and given to the individual in question.
    When the person was employed, was the book kept by the employer and returned at the end of the person's employment; or handed back to the employee after the relevant details were filled in and stamped?
    I have several of these books which are very common in both 1st and 2nd types, and the reason I am asking this question is that most books appear to be in excellent condition - no-one who was issued this document appears to have had it in their pocket for any length of time!
    wonder if anyone can answer my query?
    Most have a few entries only, then they were presumabled called up for military service; but I have one which has over twenty four occupations listed.
    Any help with this question would be greatfully appreciated.
    Thanking all in advance,

John.

According to the Reichgesetzblatt 1935, the Arbeitsbuch was instituted on Feb. 26, 1935 and all the rules were to go into effect on April 1, 1935. There were changes over the years but basically all workers who made less then 1000 RM per month had to have one. It was supposed to be kept by the employer (for multiple employers the Arbeitamt decides which one keeps it) and returned at the end of employment. Those people sent outside of Germany (like for the military) were to turn their book into the Arbeitsamt and pick it up upon returning to work in Germany. There was a time limit that applied but I can't off hand remember how many months.
    The employee was not to make any entries in the book and the employer was limited to times worked.
    Jeff

Comment

Yup, that's pretty much how I understand it. The arbeitsbuch was kept on file at the personnel office of the employer. If the employee changed jobs the entry was completed. The book was given to the employee who carried it to his next employer and turned it in to their personnel office who kept it on file. I've seen Arbeitsbucher that had the same employment listed over and over. It seems like the book was updated periodically, like maybe every six months or so.

Comment

Hello gents,
        Many thanks for your informative and comprehensive replies!
        The procedure was as I had imagined, but it is good to know exactly how the regulations worked.
        Thank you both again,

Regards,

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X