Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green ink?

Hello all,

Among my collection of paper items I have several feldpost letters from different individuals serving in various parts of the world.
    One is a string of letters sent weekly from a man serving in Western Europe in 1944-45, and several letters from another individual serving in Russia in 1943-44.
    I also have several letters from different individuals who served in various areas throughout the war years.
    However, have any other collectors on the forum come across the phenomena of green ink?
    All the above letters are written in what seems to be a vivid bright green ink.
    These letters are a very small minority in the collection, and I can only guess that this is a chemical reaction that has occurred over the years and the letters were originally written in blue or black inks which have turned to the bright green colour over the many years since they were written.
    Can anyone shed any light on this subject, or perhaps green ink was used commonly during the Third Reich period?

John.

Hi John,

Green ink was used by the Germans during the war.

I have seen that green color more often stamped on Gebrigsjäger award documents and used in those men's Soldbücher.

I don't think that the letters you have - turned over to green ink due to a chemical reaction.
    But maybe a scan or photo give a better view on it.

yours
    Eric-Jan

Comment

Eric-Jan is right. Green ink is often encountered, particularly it seems on GJ Docs for some reason.
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hello gents,

Thanks for the replies!
        I definately thought that the green colour was due to some chemical reaction to the ageing of the paper over the years since the letters were written.
        I know better now; and again thank you for your information.

Best regards,

John.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X