EspenlaubMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's so special about this German Airplane Photo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's so special about this German Airplane Photo?

Hello,

I had this photograph listed on ebay and was offered a "stupid" amount of money for it.

Anyhow, I was just wondering what is so special about it?

Steve
    Attached Files

Hmmm, looks like an FW-190 Dora somewhere on the autobahn. Other than that nothing. Though I do know that any album/photo of german fighters on ebay always seem to go nuts. IMHO.

By the way if you don't mind what is "stupid"?

Comment

I bought a bunch of pics from a WWII Veteran of Buchenwald Concentration camp so I suspect maybe this plane was some where around there, but I do not know.

Steve

pm sent Michael

Comment

Lots of stupid people out there buying up stuff.... not so unusual.

Originally posted by Ssteve View Post
        Hello,

I had this photograph listed on ebay and was offered a "stupid" amount of money for it.

Anyhow, I was just wondering what is so special about it?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
          Lots of stupid people out there buying up stuff.... not so unusual.

Or... more money than common sense.

Rob

Comment

Hi:

Photo depicts a Fw 190 D-9, of which there is strong interest in by those who study late war German aircraft. Currently, there are two companies releasing books on the subject. Eagle Editions (Part 1 of 2 now available) and from JaPo (Part 1 and 2 of 3 available).

The aircraft is Black 10, W.Nr. unknown, photographed at Zellhausen, Germany. The aircraft displays the bands of JG 2, Yellow/White/Yellow on the tail.

The aircraft was widely photographed and is showcased with other images in the above titles. An internet search also can provide those with other views of the aircraft.

HTH

Mark Proulx

Comment

Leave it up on ebay, you will probably get more for it.

Is there a link for the ebay auction?

Regards,
              Mike

Comment

Thanks for the replies and information on the plane I appreciate it.

Steve

Comment

Fw 190 D-9

the problem is these late war fighter aircraft photos are extremely rare. Film and photo paper were very scarce on the German side and it was expressly forbidden to photograph jet and more advanced aircraft although this was done (I knew an observer who got a close look at the AR-234 and informed me how strict they were about photography). I know a person whose father was a ME-262 pilot and has only one photo of his aircraft. Many US photos are actually taken with German (captured) cameras and printed on German paper as the photo shops had no other paying customers in 1945 and were happy to get any work possible. What might seem like a rediculous offer may in fact be the market price, but you have a nice photo!

Comment

I'm one of the stupids out there.
                    I would do ANYTHING to obtain some pics Im looking for ages.

Comment

As for photographs at the end of the war, my father was in an Evac Hospital unit and was associated with the X-Ray portion of the hospital. He had the ability to produce photos for the men and on an almost daily basis, photos were developed and passed around the hospital employees. He sent home MANY photos, including some planes and concentration camp pictures (Gardalegen-which were published in my hometown newspaper in 1945). So, it would appear that phtographs from the period were not as rare as one might think.
                      JMO,
                      Ron Weinand

Comment

The hundreds of Luftwaffe unit histories and pictorials that have been published since the 1960s contain copious photo coverage of late war aircraft, but it is true that the overwhelming majority of the pictures seem to have been taken by G.I.s and not by Luftwaffe personnel. Most of us who go back to the 1960s know the name James Crow, who was in Germany in the military at that time and collected thousands of photos taken by U.S. military personnel during 1945, most of them being of aircraft. For over 40 years, he has made photos from his vast holdings available for publication in books and periodicals that deal with the Luftwaffe.

--Larry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X