Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Panzerspähwagen "korner" from LAH

Hello guys,

I would like to share my latest acquisition with you. A photo says more than a thousand words, so I'm not going to "spill" any words on this one. Just look for yourself.. The shot is taken at Ellwangen, and comes out of a lot that was on ebay some time ago. I'm almost 100% positive thats good. Like to hear some comments though ..!

Cheers,

J-W

Note: the colours aren't really this way. Just got an ol' bad scanner..
    Last edited by J-W.Bode; 11-21-2007, 09:03 AM.

LAH Panzerspaehwagen

Hi there,

Congratulations on your purchase. I was tempted by this photo myself, but it seems that there have been a lot of these Ellwangen photos on ebay in the last year or so - although I had not seen this one before.

This vehicle is very interesting, as it carries the name of 'Koerner', one of the people who died during the failed Putsch of 1923. The LAH named their first four 8-Rad vehicles (two each of SdKfz 231 and 232s) after these fallen men.

SS-1088 - SdKfz 231 '?'
    SS-1089 - SdKfz 231 'Laforce'
    SS-1090 - SdKfz 232 'Faust'
    SS-1091 - SdKfz 232 'Casella'

I have been unable to find a clear shot of the name on 1088. The vehicle itself was KO'd on the first day of combat in Poland, and a certain Michael Wittmann was probably responsible for taking the vehicle back to Germany a few days later.

It may be that the vehicle in your photo is the original 1088, put in service with the SS-Ersatz Panzerspaehkompanie in Ellwangen, with some LAH instructors in the photo.

I don't think it shows a vehicle in service with the LAH as the marking styles do not match any other existing photo that I have seen of LAH 8-Rad vehicles. (Balkenkreuz shape and placement, and of course the Ellwangen marking of the of the training unit).

If anyone has a photo of 1088 which clearly shows the name, I would be very grateful if they would share it with me.

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by S Ballantyne; 11-18-2007, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Beautiful picture and some great information.

Comment

Hello,

Nice information Steve, thanks..!!

MvG,

J-W

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X