Ritterkreuz and other awards in use after 1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Danner
    Von Michael was alive when the book was published in 2000, but I don't know if he has passed away in the interim.
    Guys,

Felt like reviving this thread as I have now a 1957 grouping named to Friedrich-August Von Michael, does anyone know when he passed away or indeed whether he has? in fact ANY information would be great

Jeff

Comment

Friedrich-August von Michael is still alive.

Best regards/ Daniel

Comment

Here is his database entry: http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de/index_...chword=michael

There is much more biographical info in the book, which devotes two pages to v. Michael, too much to summarize.
        • Soviet POW from 1945 to 1949
        • After medical treatment, underwent training as a machine fitter and worked for GHH Werk Sterkrade until March 1956.
        • Entered the Budeswehr on 4 April 1956 as a Major.
        • Commanded 1st Company, Grenadier Training Battalion (1./GrenLBtl) at the Infantry School at Hammelburg from 1956 to 1957.
        • Kommandant der Stabsquartier at Wehrbereichkommando IV, Mainz, from 1957-59.
        • Inspektionschef at the Panzertruppenschule, Munster, Jan.-Sept. 1959 (an Inspektionschef is the equivalent of a company commander in a Bundeswehr school).
        • Deputy Commander, Panzergrenadierbataillon 73, Seedorf, 1959-60.
        • Again Inspektionschef at the Panzertruppenschule, Munster, 1960-61.
        • Deputy Commander, Panzergrenadier Training Battalion 92, Munster, 1961-63.
        • Tactics Instructor, Army Officer's School III (Heeresoffizierschule III), Munich, 1963-64
        • Commander, Wachbataillon, Siegburg, 1964-66
        • Promoted to Lt. Colonel, 1966
        • Commander, Panzergrenadierbataillon 73, Hamburg, 1966-68
        • Tactics Instructor and Hörsaalleiter (literally a moderator, but not sure what the appropriate English military translation is) in the Staff Officer's Course (Army), Hamburg, 1968-73
        • Retired as a Lt. Col., 31 March 1973

OK, maybe not too much to summarize.

Comment

Wow, thanks Dave

That was more than I expected...and to know he's still alive...what in the world is his collection and his uniform ( I have that too ) doing up for sale I feel a bit guilty that it may have been for money or even worse his children not caring for a very honourable history, esp postwar:
          • Order of Victoria 4th Class, awarded by HM Queen of England
          • "stormflood" medal (assistance to the flood disaster of 16 Feb 1962)
          • Al merito awarded by Chile
          • Knight Order of Johaniter (St. John)
          • Wachbattalion (berlin watch battalion)
          • French medal for service to agriculture

Not to mention his wartime honors:
          • RK
          • DKiG
          • Silver CCC
          • EKI
          • Panzerknacker
          • EKII and Ostfront
          • Gold wound badge
          Last edited by bratwurstdimsum; 06-06-2006, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 15 users online. 0 members and 15 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X