Tank Destruction Award Document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Destruction Award Document

I posted some TDB's on the the forum with this document. It came with a a group of 3 TDB's one of which was given the thumbs up. The response to the document was neither positive or negative but be wary. I am pretty confident on this one. I had it radiocarbon dated to 1955 BP +/- 75 years~! You do not need the story behind this one. It measures 12" x 8-3/8" and was longer than my scanner. Everything rings true to me on this one. If it is make belive it is very well done. I would appreciate any help you may give here. My scanner is not what it used to be, I can do some much better jpegs if needed. Perhaps this should go to the order of battle to determine the context of the piece and if any of the people are known? Thanks, Richard
    Attached Files

I just looked at my own post and do not think you can see much of anything so here are two photographs, top and bottom.
    Attached Files

Comment

bottom
      Attached Files

Comment

Hard to say. What would make me wary is the stamp; can't say I've seen one that just says "Infantry Regiment". Usually they have the number of the Rgt. there.

But - I haven't seen everything by a long shot. Maybe somebody else can give you better feedback, either positive or negative.

best
        Hank
        Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
        ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Hello,

The missing regimental number on the stamp is indeed odd.
          Is it a fake?
          I don't know.
          But if this document is used to sell a fake TDB award, I wouldn't feel secure about this documents authenticity.
          Remember that old, wartime paper and typewriters are still available today.

Cheers,
          Peter

Comment

If it's bad then i'd say it's been copied from the original. The stamp is odd but this is from company level so who knows. The name of the Btl. commander, Willi Wechsung is correct, he held the RK and DKiG.

If it looks good in hand then i think you're safe. If you want to go a step further try and nail down who the kompanie chef of 4./GR 426 was at the time. That info is so obscure i can't see any faker bothering to even try and get it right.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thank you Simon. When held in person you have little doubt with the age and size paper, the type, the fading, the wear, the folds, etc. It just looks like it should. The stamp is unusually legible but that is not necesarily a bad thing. I can't read German but it looks like the Kompanie-Chef name is Niehoff to me.

Comment

Hi,
                i also think the stamp is very odd but as Simon says it could be ok. I Googled the name name Pawlowa and i found myself to be in Polen. Maybe there is another Pawlowa, could be?

The Division was never in Poland:
                http://www.feldgrau.com/InfDiv.php?ID=97

Hard to say....
                Cheers
                Petrus

Comment

Yeah it looks like Niehoff to me too.
                  Trying to track down the German version of Eastern placenames can be very difficult and you can bet it isn't called Pawlowa by the locals today. The 126 ID was in the rough area of Pskov (Pleskau to the Germans) ca. April '44. I don't have detailed info on the situation at the time but there is, for example, a place called Paklova in Estonia to the West.
                  Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard View Post
                    If it looks good in hand then i think you're safe. If you want to go a step further try and nail down who the kompanie chef of 4./GR 426 was at the time. That info is so obscure i can't see any faker bothering to even try and get it right.
                    It looks like Niehoff to me also. I found the following information about him in my sources:
                    Niehoff, Major (posthum.) Karl, born 29.03.1911, died 19.09.1944 as a result of wounds.
                    Hauptmann RDA 01.03.1944 (4B)
                    Major RDA 01.09.1944
                    Mob.Truppenteil: Gren.Rgt.426
                    Letzter Friedenstruppenteil: Füs.Rgt.39

A quick check on Volksbund confirms his death:
                    Nachname: Niehoff 
                    Vorname: Karl 
                    Dienstgrad: Hauptmann 
                    Geburtsdatum: 29.03.1911 
                    Geburtsort: Coesfeld 
                    Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 19.09.1944 
                    Todes-/Vermisstenort: Lacisi 

Karl Niehoff wurde noch nicht auf einen vom Volksbund errichteten Soldatenfriedhof überführt oder konnte im Rahmen unserer Umbettungsarbeiten nicht geborgen werden. Nach den uns vorliegenden Informationen befindet sich sein Grab derzeit noch an folgendem Ort:
                    Kaive - Lettland
                    The document in question shows Niehoff to be an Oberleutnant on 22 April 1944 but he is listed as being promoted to Hauptmann on 1 March 1944. However, as well as know, promotions are frequently backdated, so it is still feasible.

Hope this helps.
                    Jason
                    Last edited by jmark; 11-11-2007, 06:51 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Is this a correct translation of the document?

Honor

The Uffz. Otto Selk, 4./G.R. 426 I award the "Special Badge for the Single-Handed Destruction of a Tank" because on 3.4.1944 in Powlowa as single fighter with tank and close-in engagement one tank was destroyed in close combat and other engagements set.

I speak the Uffz. Selk and Gefr. Hecko for their courageous behavior and give them thanks and my acknowledgment. Authenticated in part copy of the Btl. of instructions is the presentation of the award to the personnel - papers to register. Handing out of the award takes place immediately after assignment.

The correctness of the events is hereby authenticated.

Comment

Last post
                        This is what it looks like in whole
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X