Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My grandfather

Hello,

I would like to show you the grouping from my grandfather - The reason for me to start collecting militaria (navy/u-boat) 27 years ago.

I startet to collect when I was eleven years old cause the stories about the wartime that my grandpa told me were very exciting and interesting.
    My grandpa told me that he didn´t have items from the war time anymore. Only a small photoalbum but no medals or docs.

My mother moved into a new house a couple of months ago and she asked me if I would like to have paperstuff from grandpa!!!!
    I said, "of course" and she gave me his soldbook and his Seefahrtsbuch (after war).......GREAT find, because I didn´t expected that there was anything left like this!

My grandpa is now 87 years old, but he is very dementia and not able to find the right words to talk with others. My grandpas brother (photo 11 and 12) was a Paratrooper and the only thing I know is, that he jumped in Monte Cassino.-My grandfather and his brother haven´t had contact the last 40 years. His brother died 2 years ago.

The beautiful women on photo 1, 7 and 15 is my grandmother. She died three years ago, she was a great person and a perfect grandma. Photo No. 9 shows the father from my grandma.......he was driver in a infanterie regiment and later a POW in Russia. He returned from the war in 1954!

My grandfather was radio operator on U-657 and he survived the war cause he was ill at the time his boat sunk! If my grandpa haven´t had problems with his gastric, my mother wouldn´t be, my sister wouldn´t be, I wouldn´t be.....and so on.

In 1944 my grandmother getaway to a small town in Bavaria and my grandfather startet to search for her. The only information he had, was that she should be somewhere (!) in Bavaria. Fortunately he found her!!!

I think it´s a typical story about the wartime and I think that happenings like these is the beginning for a lot collectors to get in touch with militara items.

The story behind a EK 2nd class and a u-boat badge is sometimes very interesting.

thanks for your interest,

Mathias

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

amazing!

Comment

Its great that you have these things from your grandfather.
                Hearing the news that your U-Boat sunk, with all your friends on it must be pretty bad...

Comment

Looks like your grandfather even visited my part of the world, Tromsø, in jan '43. A lucky man to have survived.
                  Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

A wonderful, wonderful story, Mathias! It filled me with warmth and at the same time almost made me cry. And, indeed, your grandmother was a very beautiful young woman. Thanks for sharing you grandfather's story and collection. Ratibor/Oberschlesien! Sehr schön und sehr gut!

--Larry

Comment

Outstanding stuff Mathias! Of course I have my own memories of the Reeperbahn . . . . .
                      WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

This is what it is all about. Thank-you for letting us inside your family.
                        Regards,
                        Andy

Comment

That really is an interesting group of items and when any items such as these can be directly attributed to a living individual, it is even more interesting to be able to correlate.

Have you considered posting the story of your Grandfather on the 'Individual Soldiers History Archive Forum'? Personally I think it would be worthy inclusion.

Regards Richard.
                          Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

To have such history in your family... Great story and pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy F-P View Post
                              This is what it is all about. Thank-you for letting us inside your family.
                              Regards,
                              Andy
                              u said it man...down to earth with a bang!..many thanks Mat, i would dearly love to see threads as touching as this one...slainte..k

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X