Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK 2 Award Document Question

Hello All

The date on the EK 2 award document-is that the date of the event that earned the award, the date the EK was awarded, or the date it was presented?
    Many thanks...

It can be all three but generally speaking its the date it was awarded (in orders not physically). you see the same thing with most other awards too.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So there's no real way to tell for what date/event it was awarded. Trying to trace the unit history around the same time to get an idea of the action over that period and how it relates to the award?

Comment

Actually by working backwards from the award date and researching the unit's history you can very often work out for which action an award was made.

Here's an example. The history of Tirpitz shows that this can only be for one thing, the attack on the ship by British Albacore torpedo bombers on the 9th March 1942 which failed with the British losing two aircraft.

here's another

Again, knowing the history of the unit is key, in this case it's a raid against allied installations on Spitsbergen on the 8th Sept 1943

Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hello, thanks again for the replies. I'm researching an EK 2 awarded in November 41 . Stabsbattr.schw.Art.Abteilung 768.
          I have'nt been able to come up with much. Any ideas where/how to look?
          I did find something about them shelling and sinking the Soviet heavy cruiser "Petropavlosk" in mid Sept? Could that be it?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X