July 20, 1944 Document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July 20, 1944 Document

I've collected a few odds and ends related to the July 20, 1944 von Stauffenberg bomb plot including newspapers and documents.

This pair of award documents are not particularly exciting at first glance but are fascinating historical items upon closer inspection.

The War Service Cross 2nd Class certificate is signed by Lieutenant General Folttmann of Festungs-Division Kreta.

The unit becomes 164. Leichte Afrika Division arrived in Africa July 1942 and was sent to the front to relieve 90. Leichte Afrika-Division. It first saw action against Australian troops at El Alamein and its first major engagment came with the allied offensive av El Alamein. It suffered heavy losses during the retreat and its were distributed among the Panzer-Divisionen.

It was stationed in Tripoli for refitting until Dec when it was sent to Buerat to build defence installations. When the allied attacked the Mareth line it was attached to the Italian XXI. Korps and in the attack it lost all its transport and two battalions.

It surrendered in Tunisia 13 May 1943.

Apparently, the awardee Lieutenant Girtzig left the unit before its surrender and later was stationed in Berlin.

The War Service Cross 1st class certificate is signed by SS General Juttner on July 20, 1944, the date of von Stauffenberg's attempted assassination of Hitler.

General Fromm was arrested in the course of the mayhem in Berlin on that day. His position as head of the reserve army and procurement was taken over by Himmler. Himmler assigned Juttner as his deputy.

It is in this capacity that Juttner came to sign the document.
    Attached Files

War Service Cross 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Folttmann signature
      Attached Files

Comment

War Service Cross 1
        Attached Files

Comment

Detail
          Attached Files

Comment

Juttner signature
            Attached Files

Comment

Paul,
              Great pair of documents! I hope you don't mind me moving them to the paper items forum, thought they might fit a bit better there.

best
              Hank
              Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
              ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Do you know why he got the KVKI, is there more to the story?
                Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Very interesting. Jüttner signs the award document as i.v. Der Chef der Heeresrüstung und Befehlshaber des Ersatzheeres, a position he was appointed to as chief of staff the following day. No doubt as to the authenticity of the signature, just very interesting re the date. Thanks for posting them.
                  Max.

Comment

One wonders wether Juttner actually signed the award doc on that date - or whether it was backdated. Seriously, does anyone think Juttner felt it necessary to sign a KVK award on 20 July with all the events taking place? That would be like someone in the Pentagon taking the time to sign an Achievement Award on 9/11!

That doesn't take away from the historical significance of the document.

Comment

Makes absolute sense that it was signed sometime later but that the date of his actions which led to the award is given bearing in mind the significance of that day.
                      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Yes, too bad that the basis for the award was not routinely part of the document. I do have one EK1 award doc on the back of which the award justification is typed.

Comment

I agree with the premise that Juettner probably signed the document after the actual date.

I lived in Germany for 20 years and understand the German obcession with getting things done but, right, signing an insignificant award document in the middle of an attempted Putsch seems overly consciencious. On the other hand....

Unfortunately, there's nothing more to the story. Perhaps the award was given because the man stayed with his typewriter at Bendlerstrasse for the duration of the July 20 events or didn't hesitate with the right answer when asked what side he was on.

This pair was acquired about 17 years ago or so while I was living in Germany. The attraction was the July 20 date more than anything else. It was only years later that I became aware of Juettner's role as deputy to Himmler as head of the reserve army.
                          Last edited by paulj; 09-07-2007, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X