Helmut Weitze

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

glued photos with cut off edges in an album-is it a red flag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glued photos with cut off edges in an album-is it a red flag?

Hello Photo experts and collectors on this forum, I am interested in a little SS album from the early years with a kind of "home-made" feel to it. The worry I have is the photos are glued down so, of course, I can not take a look at the backs. This got me to thinking...is that a warning sign of possible fakery? Or are many photo albums of this time and place glued down on the pages? Also many of the white borders were hand scissor cut off (ostensibly to get rid of the white edges and increase the aesthetic look on black pages with a hand drawn green penciled around border.
    Am I paranoid? or should I be very worried about authenticity?
    I do not have it in hand yet to UV black light test it, and hope for your helpful advice. The "home-made" aspect of the SS album has a Gemutliche/cozy old German feel--but at the same time, I think I could fake an album like that with repro photos and the right materials if I wanted to!
    --Thanks, Michael

A large number of my albums have glued in photos.

I don't think trimming or layout design will tell you much about when the album was assembled.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard View Post
      A large number of my albums have glued in photos.

I don't think trimming or layout design will tell you much about when the album was assembled.
      OK, so having glued in photos is not so suspicious then. And I am glad to hear it. I guess I have to wait to UV black light test it.
      Thanks Simon,
      --Michael

Comment

Hi

I have several albums with glued in photos. Also a couple that have had the photos trimmed.

This was done so that there was more room to add photos.

Cheers
        Larry

Comment

To me, glued in and cut off photos don't add to the value of the album. I think most of us prefer the untouched standard sized private photos attached with photo corners. I would definately say you should be more careful as well. If I'd wanted to fake an album, I would glue in the photos and cut off the post-war edges. Of course, as Simon and Larry said it could be perfectly original and I've owned several similar albums as well. Just be careful as always and don't forget the blacklight test

Comment

I would be highly suspicious on high valued photo albums such as SS or Fallschirmjaeger. The probability of most if not all photos being trimmed is not likely and should be a warning sign. Bill

Comment

photos and red flags

Much thanks for all the advice.
              Larrister: good to know about space issues.
              Tim de Craene: well put advice, the cut edges make it less desirable. And black light it!
              W Petz: I am indeed on guard, will need much assurances from seller and black light check it myself.

Below is an example provided to me of the album in question.
              Thanks, Michael
              Attached Files

Comment

I have some single photos in my collection with the white edges cut off, they seem fine, do not light up with a UV test. I dnt know how common the practice is or was but suffice to say theres enough evidence to show it did.

Jonathan
                Last edited by Polynike; 09-06-2007, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Hi

Trimmed edges in my humble opinion don't make the photos less desirable.
                  It's the subject matter in the photos that make them desirable.

As long as the photos are original and haven't been damaged when trimmed then I can't see any problems.

I have an Inf. Rgt. 19 album with over 800 photos in it. Most have been trimmed but the subject matter is great. That's why I bought it.

Cheers
                  Larry

Comment

About 20 years ago, I saw a photo album with Heydrich family photos where the photos were all glued in and the edges of the photos looked like they were trimmed with pinking shears - to give it that homey look. Clearly it was bogus - but in hindsight I kinda wish I bought it because the repros were Heydrich family photos that I have never seen anywhere else. Even as repros they had a certain value.

I wonder who had the originals and why they never published them.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X