Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Hiwi Graves"

Dear Members,

Was it common for German soldiers to errect graves for Hilfsfreiwillige that were attched to their units? Also are photos showing such graves common? I have an Original Photo of grave for a "Hiwi" errected by members of GrenRgt 528. It is contained in the wartime album of Ritterkreuzträger Herr Freidrich Dörmann (who commanded II. GrenRgt 528) which I purchased a few months ago.

Many thanks for your assistance!
    Thomas.

Originally posted by Tomo View Post
    Dear Members,

Was it common for German soldiers to errect graves for Hilfsfreiwillige that were attched to their units? Also are photos showing such graves common? I have an Original Photo of grave for a "Hiwi" errected by members of GrenRgt 528. It is contained in the wartime album of Ritterkreuzträger Herr Freidrich Dörmann (who commanded II. GrenRgt 528) which I purchased a few months ago.

Many thanks for your assistance!
    Thomas.

Hi Thomas,

First, welcome to the forum!

While visiting some of the German military cemetaries in Italy (Costermano, Futa Pass, Cassino etc,) I do recall seeing graves of soldiers with the designation Hiwi so I know their graves were recorded by the German Graves Registration folks. I also collect grave fotos but don't have any of Hiwis nor do I recall seeing any so I woud imagine they would be pretty rare.

To appear in a German soldier's personal album there has to be a story behind it. Maybe this Hiwi was Dörmann's batman or took a bullet for his CO?? There has to be a good reason for it. That is quite an honor to be thought highly enough of to have someone of Dörmann's rank and position to want to remember you. Grave photos are common in albums but generally, they are either relatives or comrades who were close personal friends. I have even seen fotos of the graves of officers and NCOs in the albums of soldiers which is a testament to their leadership but a Hiwi? There has to be a story there.

Cheers, Bill Huber

Comment

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply Bill! Your comments are very insightful. I am currently in correspondence with a veteran of Dörmann's battalion so I will ask him in my next letter if he knows why Dörmann would have a photo of a "Hiwi in his album. Incidentally this photo is the last photo in the album Bill. When I first looked through the album I just took the grave to be one of a soldier like the many others in this album, it was only a few weeks ago that on further inspection did I realize that this was not the case and saw the word Hiwi in place of a name.

Unfortunately I cannot post this Original photo here because it’s stuck into the album. But I can give you a description of this grave. The photo shows a traditional style grave - a wooden cross - the wood evidently taken from a fence (missing a number of panels) which is clearly visible in the background. On the vertical section - at the top the Iron Cross, underneath that the initial GR, underneath this 528. On the horizontal section it written in the traditional Gothic style script - Hiwi geb gef 5.1.44
      As you can see there is no date of birth. There are some graves in the background of the same construction but it is impossible to see what’s written on these crosses.
      The grave looks as though it was made in haste.

Comment

Hello,

Guessing by the limited response, this type of photos is quite rare! (?)
        Has anyone else seen such photos?

Many thanks!

Comment

I have recently acquired some grave photos of Ostbataillon members, but have never seen graves of Hiwi's.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomo View Post

I am currently in correspondence with a veteran of Dörmann's battalion so I will ask him in my next letter if he knows why Dörmann would have a photo of a "Hiwi in his album.
            Hi Thomas,

That would probably be the only way you'll find out at this point but if this vet happens to know the story it will be the best evidence you can find. You might be able to squeeze out a few drops of pure history before its lost for good.

Please let us know what you find out!

Cheers, Bill Huber

Comment

From history of 4 panzer division

Comment

Very interesting photo! I think that the German soldiers treated the Hiwis well. I guess they took photos of Hiwi´s graves if they knew them, just as they took photos of their comrades´ graves.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X