1942 Postcard: Potatoe Bug? (BIG pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1942 Postcard: Potatoe Bug? (BIG pics)

This postcard, and two coins, are all that remains of a fairly large collection I had as a child - but sold in the 80's for college

It dates from September 1942 and the photo is of the overhead rail in Wuppertal-Barmen, on Adolf Hitler Strasse (It's probably not named that anymore ). On the rear is a weird potatoe bug stamp. What does it signify?

Also interesting is the fact that there are different pen types used, as well as different handwriting. Can anyone translate some of the writing for me?

All comments, opinions, and especially translations welcomed!

Thanks!
    John

Hello John.
    Kartoffelkaefer reminds me when a young boy of the weekly searches for the dastardly potatobugs which were reportedly lauched by Allied planes to destroy an important food crop in Germany. This "Fight the Potatobug" was a national campaign every year as I remember. We never found one but had exercise
    aplenty.
    The postcard writings were from different people to the same recipient, using their own writing instruments also , seems to me. Nothing special, just the usual exchange of greetings etc.
    The unique rail transportation I believe to be still in use today. There was an accident in the recent past but do not remenber the details.
    Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Hello John,

I just tried to translate some words, but Bernhard was faster

So just a short confirmation about that what Bernhard posted.

Everything is correct.

Best wishes

Jörg

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!

I just spent quite a lot of time of the modern website for Wuppertal-Barmen! Lots of photos of the overhead railway, both old and new.

Very interesting!

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X