Help needed with von Brauchitsch signed documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed with von Brauchitsch signed documents

I have 2 promotion documents with original von Brauchitsch signatures. Unfortunately my son's school costs are forcing me to sell some of my collection and one of these documents needs to go. The help I need is in determining which would be the best of the 2 for me to keep.

The first is dated 31 March 1938, is holed at the side and bottom, has been folded in the middle and promotes a Oberfeuerwerker Georg Spendel to a lieutenant. Does anyone know what a Oberfeuerwerker is? The literal translation makes little sense to me. Additionally there is a (W) following the rank to which he is to be promoted.

The second document promoes Alfred Nemec from an Oberleutnant to Hauptman. That promotion is pretty clear cut. It is dated 31 May 1938, has no holes or folds and consists of paper that is twice as large as the shown document with it being folded in half.

Based on condition the second would be the one I would choose to keep. But not knowing if the Oberfeuerwerker designation has any rarity assosiated with it, I am hesitant to choose based solely on condition. Any help in making this decision would be greatly appreciated as well as what would be a reasonalble price to ask for one of these.
    Richard V

I'm thinking an oberfeuerwerker is something like a shift leader at a fire department. Not sure though.

Seeing as how condition is often paramount in the collectibles market, I'd keep the second one.

best
    Hank
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

A Feuerwerker (a military rank) is a man working in a bomb disposal team to

defuse bombs and ammunition.

Gerdan

Comment

As both are pre-war officers i'll see if either turn up in the references
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks for the help from all and for your kind offer Simon. I'm interested to see if anything turns up! What is a reasonable price for one of these? Winkler charges about 380 Euros for one and if you wait for his 30% off sale that would bring it to about 266 Euro. I'm assuming if I ask about $250 that would not be out of line whan I decide which one to sell?
          Richard V

Comment

I think you're going to like this

Nemec is luckily an unusual name and being a pre-war regular officer he's easy to track down.

Commissioned 1.12.1935, in 1939 he was with the II abteilung Artillerie Regiment 53. He was promoted Major on 1.2.1941 and Oberstleutnant 1.7.1944. On 7.7.1942 he was awarded the DKiG as Major and commander of the II abteilung Pz.Art.Rgt.27 belonging to the 17 Pz.Div.

Spendel was assigned to Heeresnebenzeugämt Landshut or army ordnance branch office Landshut in 1939. That's all i have on him i'm afraid.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thank you so much Simon. I think this may make the decision as to which to keep quite a bit easier. Could I ask you how you go about finding this information and what sources of information can be used to obtain this data? I think knowing this would help quite a bit in researching other documents/wehrpasses/soldbuchs that I have. Thanks again!
              Richard V

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X