finally located this Kreigs-brucke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally located this Kreigs-brucke

Hello all I have had this photo in my collection since I started collecting and till now could not pin point the location.

I picked up this photo from a seller who was splitting up a 7 PD album from the invasion of France. Let me know what you think as I think it is the same bridge.

The first photo appears to be taken soon after being built.

Mike
    Attached Files

this is the caption from the album for this photo. Can anyone read it?
    Attached Files

Comment

now here is my first photo. As I stated I think very strongly this is the same bridge, though with the other signs added.

Mike
      Attached Files

Comment

Bridge looks similar and the sign looks the same, but the trees are different looking in the background. It would be some different dates for sure.

Comment

Definately the same bridge. The trees are looking different because the first photo is way less sharp, because the photo has been taking from a lower point of view and probably because the other time of year as well. But the landscape is obviously the same, taken from another POV.

The caption says: "Die l******228;ngste Kriegsbr******252;cke: 325m ...enis uber die Loire". Too bad I can't read the place name, perhaps someone else can.

Comment

The place name should be "Ancenis" a town situated about 40 Km east of

Nantes close to the Loire.

Gerdan

Comment

I believe I can contribute to this thread. This bridge was built over the Loire upriver from Nantes. It was the longest pontoon bridge (375 metres) of the western campaign and it used the equipment of 14 bridging columns. It had a capacity of 16 tonnes and took only 22 hours to erect on 22-23 June, 1940. Six pioneer companies assembled it (1., 2. and 3./Pi.Btl.45, 2. and 3./Pi.Btl.31 and 3./Pi.Btl.2). The bridge was named in honour of Pi.Btl.45's commander, Oberstleutnant Paul Velke, who would later be awarded the Knight's Cross for his battalion's role in France.

Finally, here is another view of the bridge. Quite an impressive feat, isn't it!

All the best,
              Jason

- - -
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Jason for the much informative response! I have had this photo in a grouping that belonged to a Sanits-man that worked his way up to docter and I have posted this photo a few times always wth the hope of finding information. Goes to show you have to keep plugging along!

Mike

Thanks Tim & gerdan as well for your help and confirmation.
                Originally posted by jmark View Post
                I believe I can contribute to this thread. This bridge was built over the Loire upriver from Nantes. It was the longest pontoon bridge (375 metres) of the western campaign and it used the equipment of 14 bridging columns. It had a capacity of 16 tonnes and took only 22 hours to erect on 22-23 June, 1940. Six pioneer companies assembled it (1., 2. and 3./Pi.Btl.45, 2. and 3./Pi.Btl.31 and 3./Pi.Btl.2). The bridge was named in honour of Pi.Btl.45's commander, Oberstleutnant Paul Velke, who would later be awarded the Knight's Cross for his battalion's role in France.

Finally, here is another view of the bridge. Quite an impressive feat, isn't it!

All the best,
                Jason

- - -

Comment

Tim has made some very good observations about the photos, and the vantage point from which taken. The first photo is definitely inferior to the second......part possibly camera shake and possibly part type and speed of film, as well as lens quality. Definitely the vantage point is different, making the prespective different. The second photo is likely by a better photographer with a better camera and lens.......likely a wider angle lens. I have tried to jockey the photos a bit to try to see parts of them a little better, and played with the signs a bit. I believe both signs say it is the Velke-Brücke. Compare also the branches on the small tree at the edge of the bridge on the right of the photo.....look at the sweep and direction of the individual branches. I think it is the same tree. I have also made a couple of composites with red areas marked and numbered to compare to each other in the shots. Look at the general shape of the horizons in each, the trees and buildings (in the one photo part of the building on the horizon is partially blocked by the sign, but I still think the horizons "fit")(also a part of the building on the left side is blocked in one photo by the left pole that support the over hanging decoration). Although one of the photos is not sharp enough to say 100%, I would say that the general shapes of the horizon, building, trees and open ground fit.....so I would be willing to say they are 2 photos of the same bridge.

Ron

Comment

Ron, Thanks for the work! I know you spent a bit of time doing the comparison. I agree that both signs say Velk-brucke.
                    As for the quality, I agree. If it hadn't been the only other photo I have come across of this bridge I would have passed.

Thanks again! Mike
                    Originally posted by Ron C. View Post
                    Tim has made some very good observations about the photos, and the vantage point from which taken. The first photo is definitely inferior to the second......part possibly camera shake and possibly part type and speed of film, as well as lens quality. Definitely the vantage point is different, making the prespective different. The second photo is likely by a better photographer with a better camera and lens.......likely a wider angle lens. I have tried to jockey the photos a bit to try to see parts of them a little better, and played with the signs a bit. I believe both signs say it is the Velke-Brücke. Compare also the branches on the small tree at the edge of the bridge on the right of the photo.....look at the sweep and direction of the individual branches. I think it is the same tree. I have also made a couple of composites with red areas marked and numbered to compare to each other in the shots. Look at the general shape of the horizons in each, the trees and buildings (in the one photo part of the building on the horizon is partially blocked by the sign, but I still think the horizons "fit")(also a part of the building on the left side is blocked in one photo by the left pole that support the over hanging decoration). Although one of the photos is not sharp enough to say 100%, I would say that the general shapes of the horizon, building, trees and open ground fit.....so I would be willing to say they are 2 photos of the same bridge.

Ron

Comment

Hi every body i'm Marvin, i live in ancenis and it's one of the best surprise of my life to see that., please guy could you sell me the photo of Ancenis, i want write a book about my city, i have 17 years and must have help, i supplie to you can you sell me the photo.please

Thanks

If you do pleasures I take photos of ancenis today and I show you
                      Last edited by marvin44; 07-29-2010, 03:20 PM.

Comment

hi guy, i did a promess, that's the matching of the photo in the following order.

Best regards

Comment

I was there about 2 or 3 months ago. That is in Ancenis - not far from a camper van place with an old folks home up the road if I recall correctly.

Comment

i guy, i live in ancenis, and this pictures i exactly in border of loire

Comment

up

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X