X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-boat photo

Take a look at this photo....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7599&rd=1&rd=1

anyone seen this photo before? I have..it's in Buchheim's book "U-boat War."
    I've bought about $5,000 worth of photos from the seller and emailed him about this photo and many of the photos in his latest lot of U-boat related photos. I haven't received an answer. I think this photo is very probably a reprint...and certainly not U-181. It is in fact U572 (according to Buchheim) shot from U96. The original photo is a wider scene...this photo is cropped, as are others. Also, Buchheim says in the foreward of his book that most of the undeveloped film, that became the photos in his book, was forgotten by him until the late 70's (have no idea which ones). Have a look at some of the other u-boat photos...some are really strange...look sort of like half negatives. Anyway, the seller is a great guy...but I encouraged him to black light the photos and check for paper maker marks on the backs. How sophisticated are the best fakes? Is it possible to use Ilford paper..(no maker mark on the back of Ilford paper)...then sort of "bake" it to counteract the bleach in the paper...I've heard this can be done...and of course it wouldn't be that difficult to add stamps on the back..Agfa Brovira etc...My nightmare is maybe every photo I have is a fake.
    I do have a large photo of U170 I bought form the seller in question..it's really cool but three weeks after I bought it he was selling the same photo on Ebay. I asked about this and he said it was from an album of another crewmember...how weird is that? It has no makers marks and is quite aged/sepia...................oh I'm working myself into a frenzy...........anyway, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Noone has any thoughts on this? There are several photos from the lot straight from Buchheim's book. In my opinion the Buchheim photos from U96 are the pinnacle of photojournalism...the same as the war photos of Robert Capa. Wouldn't anyone be a bit shocked to see a Capa listed for $1.70?

Comment

Mark,

You are working yourself into a frenzy! I too have bought a good amount of photos from Rick and as of the last bunch none are repro'd.
      So I think your collection is safe on that account

I do know he does "cherry pick" photos from albums for single sale on ebay and there are duplicates that he sells as well.

I can't speak about this photo but relying on the reputation I would not be hesitant to buy if I was a u-boat photo collecter.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mike! I too think Rick has a great reputation and I've been pleased so far with the pics. The photos relating to U96, in my opinion are the best representation of u-boat photography...the series Buchheim took of his tour aboard U96 are unparalleled...including a series taken during a depth charge attack. Most photos I've seen are the calm snapshot variety. The photo I am refering to is iconic so I'm a bit skeptical.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X