help with translation,thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with translation,thanks

I need to know the name of the place or city.
    this is russia army group north 61 ID
    thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! manuel

That is HIDEOUSLY BAD scribbling!!!!

Schloss auf .......... .... Bomben(treffer).

I am assuming that the last word MUST be "Bombentreffer," but the whole thing is SO bad, it is readable only by guesswork!!!

The place name looks like it MIGHT be "Grunenberg" or "...uninoberg" something like that, both versions don't even look the same & which isn't Russian at all. Maybe if you show us the PHOTO side...?

Comment

dear manuel,
      for sure its "bombentrichter" (bomb crater), not bombentreffer/bomb hit. the rest is puzzling. although i cant verify a double "s", it should read imho "schloss am grössenberg (???)". at least there is a castle at such a place in austria, http://www.eppenstein.steiermark.at/...00_chronik.htm
      but as you are looking for a russian location, this makes no sense either.
      what about showing us the front of the pics. maybe some clue is hidden there...
      Last edited by werner geier; 05-11-2003, 05:32 AM.

Comment

The 61 ID was before Leningrad in 41/42. There are several places with german names, such as Schluesselburg, Oranienburg, etc.. Maybe if someone has a detailled map of that area. ..?

To me it looks like :

Schloss aufg Grusionberg ????

(... Bombentrichter)

Dietrich
        B&D PUBLISHING
        Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

dietrich,you are absolutely right about towns
          with german names in north russia , I found a book from the 61 ID I have just bought .I am sure OI will find out! thanks!!! manuel

Comment

Is there a bombcrater in the photograph?

Comment

here is the foto with a big crater.sorry for being late! regards and thanks for your time!
              manuel
              Attached Files

Comment

Another Partial assistance

Hi

Another word in the note is obviously "vorn". That means "vorne Bombentrichter", or in English "in the foreground - Bomb Crater"

Regards
                Dirk

Comment

Good eye! I could never read it, though I thought that it could be "russ."... You're THE winner, Dirk!

Comment

thanks to all! now we are missing the city?
                    akira do you have a book about this div?
                    it must be there.thanks manuel

Comment

Three books. Actually four (I have 2 photo histories... Anybody want one? ).

Comment

I will buy it, let me know. if you have time see if you can help solve this mystery.thanks manuel

Comment

"vorn(e) bombentrichter"

The reason it is so hard to distinguish as "vorn" is because the writer accidentally crossed the opening parenthesis over the word. That's why it looks like an "R", when in fact it is: "(vorn..." It was the closing parenthesis that finally clued me in.

Regards
                          Dirk

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X