Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unkown StuG DK / RK holder "Grossdeutschland"

Hi collectors,

maybe there is someone who know the name and unit from this officier.

The "Sturmgeschütz" officier awarded the Ritterkreuz, Deutsches Kreuz, Nahkampfspange, iron cross 1. class and the wounded badge.
    He was a member of the Division "Großdeutschland" (cufftitle).

Thank you!

http://www.die-sturmartillerie.com/P...ts/RKunbek.jpg

http://www.die-sturmartillerie.com/P...s/RKunbek2.jpg

Stug-collector

Hello Stug-collector,
    This just a guess - but he looks like Gottfried Tornau to me. He was a Hauptmann and a member of Assault Art. Brigade FGD.
    Regards,
    Dick

Comment

Hi Dick,

thank you for your mail. I think he looks like Tornau, you are wright, but do you know if Tornau got the "Nahkampfspange"??
      This is the only reason, why i am not sure!!

Tornau got some diffrent awards, but i cant find a Nahkampfspange. Maybe you have some better informations as i am.

Thank you again and best wishes to Texas!

StuG-collector

Comment

Hi Stug-collector,
        Thanks for the good wishes. I am not sure about him having a CCC and I cannot find a photo with one. Sorry. Perhaps Denis can help you,
        Best Regards,
        Dick

Comment

Hello
          2 soldiers could be this guy :
          As Dick said :
          TORNAU GOTTFRIED
          DoB : 20/12/1919
          DoD : 09/02/1992
          LAst rank : MAJOR
          DKiG : 28/05/1943 as Oblt. 3/ST. GESCH. ABT. 184
          RK : 05/03/1945 (4664th) as Hptm. STURMART. BRIG. (FHR.-GRE. DIV.)

and also
          STURM HANS-HERMANN
          DoB : 12/06/1917
          LAst rank : HAUPTMANN
          DKiG : 13/12/1942 as Owm. 2/ST. GESCH. ABT. 190
          RK : 09/06/1944 (3144th) as Oblt. 3/ST. GESCH. BRIG. "GD" (PZ. GRE. DIV. "GD")

Unfortunately, I have no photos of both. I don't know if one of them was awarded the NKS in Silber (as it is seemingly shown on the photo). Regarding Tornau, I just know he was awarded the Allgemeinessturmabz. m. Einsatzzahl '25' or '50'.

The happy owner of the book about KC holders of thje Sturmartillerie (published by Biblio VErlag) might be able to answer to the question.
          Sorry not being more helpful

Regards
          Denis

Comment

Hello ,
            I thought this one is Gerhard Konopka .
            And the pic with the two Knights cross Holders is left Gerhard Konopka and middle Oakleaves Holder Gerhard Behnke .
            I mvery sure .
            Greetings

Comment

Hi Denis,
              I have photos of both named gentlemen. I thought that it was Tornau because of his cleft chin. Sturm looks more like the man in the middle of the first photo and he does not have the cleft chin.
              Hope this helps.
              Regards,
              Dick

Comment

Hello guys,

thank you for so many help!

I think the man on the left side can be Gottfried Tornau, but i cant find the award Nahkampfspange in his history. It look like the Nahkampfspange in silver or gold.

Konopka awarded 4 Panzervernichter badge. So normaly we have to see the awards on his left arm!?

The other RK holder looks like Sturm, i think the same. Maybe he is Sturm.

A small detail: On the backside of the photo there is standing "
                Ekkehard Meyer - Jurin, 14.4.45" (i am not sure the word "Jurin")
                I forgot to wrote this detail, sorry.
                I cant find any Ekkehard Meyer in the history. Maybe you have some better informations.

Thank you again for your help and a nice day for all!

StuG-collector

Comment

Hi
                  I don't think there are Tornau and Sturm. Sturm was awarded the RK later, and Tornau presents other decorations (GAB25-50, EK2 ribbon). may be he is a PZ Gr ?
                  I think he is Willi HEINRICH, but I can't explain the Sturm Gesch Wrap.
                  jacques

Comment

In the middle , I opt for Clemens SOMMER (II./PzGRRgt)

jacques

Comment

Hello,

for me the man on the left is Hans-Friedrich Graf zu Rantzau and the man in the middle is Hans-Hermann Sturm (both were awarded with the KC on the same day - 9th of June 1944).

Jörg

Comment

Hello ,
                        it can`t be Hans Friedrich Graf v. Rantzau if the picture is from April 1945 like StuG wrote .Hans Friedrich Graf von Rantzau was killed in Action at 28.9.1944
                        Greetings
                        Uli

Comment

Hi
                          After a new look on the book from SPaeter, the man on the left could be Herbert HENSEL of the FGD, RK on march 5, 1945.

Comment

I am 95% sure it is HENSEL. The Sturmgeschutz uniform does not necessarily mean he was in the Stugz GD - and I do not believe he did. I believe he may be wearing the wrapper as a PzGrenadier - which became authorized late in the war - especially in late forming units such as FGD.
                            CSP

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X