Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laminated documents !

Hey guys,

I just received a package with some SS documents that I had bought. There were some promotion documents, 2 award urkunden and some other standard paper.
    Well the thing is, when I opened the box it turned out that the documents were laminated with plastic !
    There was no chance I could see that on the scans he sent me.

So, how much do you think this ruins the value of the documents?
    They are forever "trapped" in a hard plastic shell.

Interested to hear your opinions.

Sure you can still see them clearly, and they are protected from damage....but you cant touch them....

Cheers,
    David

This was recently discussed at http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=damage
    Max.

Comment

If the seller didn't inform you that they were laminated, the price you paid for them didn't take into account that they're laminated and there's no chance of undoing the process without damaging the docs then i'd send 'em back personally but of course it depends how much you want them and what your own personal feeling is about laminated docs. Obviously someone at some point thought it was a good idea but many a collector wouldn't want them.
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Sorry I must have missed that thread !

The seller didnt inform me about it. He is a relative of the SS vet so I guess he didnt think it mattered. I had never held a laminated doc before, but the first feeling I got was "dead", they just feel like something modern crap. I dont know.

To be honest I wasn't super interested in the docs. I just bought them as I wanted some of the photos he had and I didnt want to split up the group.
        I think the photos alone are worth what I paid so I dont think I will be returning the group. I might as for a refund.

I can always use them as drink coasters I guess...

David

Comment

Hello David,

Think postive, you can take those documents to the beach with you and even go swiming with them .

Serious now:
          - Is their no way you can remove the lamination?
          Please be carefull or you'll end up with nothing.

Cheers,
          Peter

Comment

Could you post them? Would be interesting to see.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Haha yeah the thought occured to me as well ! Nice reading in the bathtub !

No, I cant remove them. I tried on a insignificant document, but it began to stick to both sides of the plastic so it would have been destroyed if I would have continued.

I'll post pics of some of them, it's kinda hard to make the plastic appear though.

I would also appreciate comments on the documents themselves, as some look a bit weird to me.

Cheers,
              David
              Attached Files

Comment

Read All About it

http://www.nmnh.si.edu/anthro/conser...guidelines.htm

Lots of problems, there are ways to get it off but it involves lab work with chemicals and should not be tried by someone who is not familiar with the methods etc.

Comment

Verwundeten and infanterie abzeichen.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Doc
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard View Post
                      Could you post them? Would be interesting to see.
                      I'd like to see 'em too.

My two cents: although they're not going to be as "valuable" to most collectors now, depending on signatures, units, and the probable times and events they were awarded for, (would any of you throw away laminated SS docs from Normandy or the Bulge, for instance? I dang sure wouldn't) will still give them a nominal value. Especially SS stuff.

best
                      Hank
                      Last edited by Hank Cummings; 05-24-2007, 02:46 PM. Reason: fine tuning
                      Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                      ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Another doc
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                        X