Feld post number on photo??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R MICHAEL View Post
    Ade, Thanks for the help. I am guessing as in a lot of other FP#'s the subsequent units were "off-spring" of the earlier units. If so the range of the photos I would date would be up to early 43.
    Oh what does "gestrichen" mean?
    Thanks again! Mike
    Not in this case i think. You'll see that there's a significant time gap between units. Gestrichen means cancelled, ie. when a unit was dissolved it's associated Fp.Nr. would of course also be cancelled.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by BHS1956 View Post
      The photo appears to have been shot in Denmark where, I believe, brick buildings are more commonly found that in Germany.

--BHS1956
      Not quite,

brick buildings are as common in Germany as they are in Denmark, especially in the Northern half including Hannover.

HTH

Jens O.

Comment

Mike wrote:

I am guessing as in a lot of other FP#'s the subsequent units were "off-spring" of the earlier units.
        No, none of those units had anything to do with each other. The word "gestrichen" wipes the slate clean and, after the interval of 6 to 12 months or so, leaves that number available to be assigned to another unit, usually a new one. In fact, the third unit listed isn't even Luftwaffe.

The second unit, 12.Kp./Ln.-Rgt. 203, was a Flugmelde (aircraft reporting) company stationed in eastern France (the Charleville-Mézières area, I think) that tracked RAF bomber formations and reported their location to German night fighters so they could vector in on them and attack.

--BHS1956

Comment

Originally posted by jmehner View Post
          Not quite,
          brick buildings are as common in Germany as they are in Denmark, especially in the Northern half including Hannover.
          HTH
          Jens O.
          Red brick? I drove around in northwestern Germany (not in Schleswig-Holstein, however) several times back in the late 1950's and early 1960's and I don't recall seeing very many buildings or homes of red brick construction. But I will certainly take your word for it since you are more familiar with the area than I am. It could be that they prevail in some areas and not so much in other areas.

--BHS1956

Comment

Well at least two soldats that are in the photo appear through out the album. I am at happy at least that I can pin part of the album down especially since the owner was part of a short lived unit.

Originally posted by BHS1956 View Post
            This is very interesting and very strange. Kommandant Flughafenbereich z.b.V. 1/XI (abbreviated as Koflug z.b.V. 1/XI) was set up specifically for the invasion and occupation of Denmark and Norway that began on 9 April 1940. It was set up by Luftgaukommando XI which was the senior Luftwaffe command for the present-day states of Lower Saxony and Schleswig-Holstein. When the invasion began, it moved into Denmark to set up airfields. It was then disbanded at the end of April and a permanent infrastructure set up to run the airfields in Denmark. There is very little information about it due to it's very brief existence.

The photo appears to have been shot in Denmark where, I believe, brick buildings are more commonly found that in Germany.

--BHS1956
            I also learned a new term! thanks guys and the quest still goes on for the elusive signals unit with the dogs head.

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X