Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identity photo, need help.

Hello,

I got this photo a while ago last year from an auction along with a box of items belonging to a Wehrmacht infantry soldier who also was a photographer by the name of Hermann Weiss. This one photo is probably his CO but I can not find any information about him or his unit. Could anyone help me?

Front:
    (Note the holes for the ribbon bar. The Knights cross.)

Reverse:

Text:

Meinem treuen
    Obergfr. Weiss
    zur Erinnerung
    an seinen Batl.Kdr.

Oberstlt. [Kraus?!]

1938-40.

Thanks,
    Baumer

Comment

Fritz Iwand

Comment

Is there any info you would have on him please? I am not sure if it says Iwand, it looks more like Kraus or somthing similar. Anyone else have an opinion please?

Comment

I agree also it was Iwand. The nose matches perfectly of that of an only pic of him I have.

Cheers
          Elwyn

Comment

Originally posted by Baumer View Post
            Is there any info you would have on him please? I am not sure if it says Iwand, it looks more like Kraus or somthing similar. Anyone else have an opinion please?
            I too think the signature reads "Iwand". As first glance it does look like "Kraus" but compare the "K" of "Kraus" with the "K" of "Kdr." written just above it. They're not the same letter. Also, there are no Knight's Cross winners with the surname of Kraus who match your parameters (Knight's Cross winner, high enough rank to command a battalion from 1938-1940, held the rank of Obstlt. while wearing the RK). Also note the shade of the Waffenfarbe in the photo. Oberst Fritz Iwand fits perfectly. He was promoted to Major 1.8.1936, had command of I./Kavallerieschützenregiment 10 in 1939, and received the RK on 15.5.1940 as Obstlt. and Kdr. of I./Schützen-Regiment 10. He was killed 27.7.1941 near Ryeloy, Russia, as commander of Sich.Rgt.74. He was posthumously promoted to Oberst.

This from Volksbund:
            Surname: Iwand 
            First name: Fritz Ernst Emil Karl 
            Date of birth: 15.06.1898 
            Place of birth: Hünern 
            Date of death: 27.07.1941 
            Place of death: near Tschernyj Rutschej 
            Buried: East bank of Lake Orda, 4.8km south-west of Tschornnyj Rutschej on a bare hill with an oak [not sure what the last abbreviation means: "zw"].

Hope that helps.
            Jason

Comment

This is great, thanks George, Elwyn and jmark. Yeah old hand writing is hard for me to read sometimes. But this is perfect and has helped me alot. Elwyn may I see the pic you have of him please? I have another pic which I post later.

Baumer

Comment

I don't have right to post pics here. PM me an e-mail address and I will send you one -- from Scherzer.

Cheers
                Elwyn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X