Advice on Document/Soldier Research?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Document/Soldier Research?

I'm looking for information in regards to researching award documments. How, generally, do you guys go about it?

What are the best sources etc. for researching a soldier's unit - mostly below division level (regiment, batallion, company)?

Also, how feasible is it to research an actual soldier through German Archives etc. - especially enlisted men and NCOs?

I'm basically looking for any pointers/tips you guys can give through your collecting experiences - this from a person who cannot read, write or speak German.

Thanks,
    Brian

Enlisted men are impossible. Junior officers are virtually hopeless. Senior officers and generals (yeah, how often do THOSE pop up!?) are easier because they leave long papertrails for their careers.

It is possible to get information on fatal casualties, of varying quality, and at considerable effort--if you have FULL details. Unlike American archives, just asking isn't good enough. The Germans are NOT thrilled with "souvenir hunters."

WW-TWO is the wrong war for me (WW-ONE), but there are orders of battle out there. WW2 Iron Cross documents were normally signed at division level, which helps start looking for units.

There are almost no postwar German unit histories below a divisonal level.

Comment

Brian,

Researching individuals through German archives is possible but far from foolproof. If you will go to the forum on Reference books etc you will find some addresses of German archives that I posted for Proster Keating. The Persoanlarchiv in Aachen charged me 30DM for each person they supplied info on but did not charge for those searches which led to no info being forwarded. I have received info on a RAD officer and a Luftwaffe Bordfunker up to his date of death, name of cemetary and grave number. I wrote in English and they replied in German. I do not speak German but through the use of an on-line translator the answers were easy to understand. I should mention that I have only been successful in tracing people from named tunics that I have in my collection. Inquiring for info using names from award documents has so far not proved fruitful.

Regards,

Gordon Craig

Comment

For those interested in the Military career etc. then follow the following link. The form is easy to fill in and there is a nominal charge of DM 15.- on information received.
        The task is time consuming and you are not guaranteed to much more information on the peron than what you already know but it is worth writing to the WASt.
        Info required for this search is:
        First and last name, place and date of birth and relationship to the person. If you are not related state the reasons for inquiring for this person and any additional information. http://www.com-de.pair.com/wast/frame_e.htm

/Ian
        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

For those who are interested in knowing where a german soldier is buried, there is the website of the Vdk. You will have to fill a form and give details about the person you are searching : Name, firstname, date of birth and date of death (or the year). I found it very useful several times. All the graves from 1870 to 1945 are online and it's cost nothing.
          Jean-Yves Nasse
          http://www.volksbund.de

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X