Framing Urkunden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Framing Urkunden

I want to frame some Third Reich award Urkunden. Is there a right way to do this? I've heard that some paper on paper
    combinations can cause the Urkunden to react and discolor or deteriorate. Is is a good idea to mount them between glass and cloth? I have two which I have had in this manner for a few years now with no apparant ill effects. Are some cloths not good? Also, are some plastic sleeves better to store documents in than others?
    Thanks,
    George
    George

Beware of all frames you can buy at Walmart, Kmart, Sears, or malls--the cardboard backings and shiny gloss paper that usually has the advertising image are RUIN for old paper. They WILL deteriorate--permanently, and sometimes suddenly.

Look at all the old WWI-WW2 era framed pictures etc that you can find at antique shops and yard sales--brittle, crumbling deep brown cardboard and brown, foxed, faded contents. Ugh!

That's what our modern stuff is going to look like in 50 years--or less.

I use heavy card archive backing and archival inert plastic page or magazine sized covers. Almost none of my stuff is out framed.

I learned my lesson over the little time from pre-Jimmy to final-Ronnie!

[ 23 November 2001: Message edited by: Rick Lundstrom ]

Comment

I mat all mine with archival mat board and foamcore backing, using linen tape for the actual mount, and mount the actual award with it if possible. Usually a double mat will give you enough depth. Most important, DO NOT LET THE PAPER TOUCH THE GLASS! There's a good chance of it sticking and bye bye Urkunde. If you can't find archival materials locally get a catalog from http://www.universityproducts.com

Comment

Along with what Tony suggested you will want to use some sort of UV type of glass to protect the document from sunlight or those wonderful UV lights that many of us have in our rec. rooms etc.

Greg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X