X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare photo on Ebay-BE VERY CAUTIOUS!

http://cgi.ebay.com/GERMAN-WW2-PHOTO...QQcmdZViewItem

Guys,
    I just wanted to draw your attention to this rare photo. I firmly believe it to be a reproduction. I have had many dealings with this seller and all of the studio portraits I have purchased from her were reproductions, excellent reproductions at that. I waisted many $$$, you don't have to

FYI!!!

When you mention reproduction, do you mean that this photo has been posed probably recently with a "modern" person wearing the items?

I'm not disputing it; I'm not a serious photo collector and I was just wondering how rampant it is to fake WWII photos like that.

Best,
    Greg
    sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
    www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Walden View Post
      When you mention reproduction, do you mean that this photo has been posed probably recently with a "modern" person wearing the items?

I'm not disputing it; I'm not a serious photo collector and I was just wondering how rampant it is to fake WWII photos like that.

Best,
      Greg

Hello Greg. What I meant by reproduction is that this image was reproduced after the war from either a negative or from the original print itself. I don't think it was a "posed" picture done after the war. I believe one of the other WAF members were saying they encountered a seller at one of the militaria shows selling a bunch of prints he made up from the original negatives and selling them as repos for about $5.00 a pop. All showed desireable content such as the one seen in the above auction. He was up front about it; this seller on Ebay is not. All I am saying is be very cautious in purchasing images from this Ebayer. I can speak from experience that all of the premium content images I purchased from her in the past were repros.
      -Chuck

Comment

I believe it is extremely common for ebay pictures to be recently printed versions of old negatives.

but usually they are honest about it.

that's really messed up when they lie for profit though.

when the hell will the hobby of third reich collecting become regulated?

it seems the only regulation that anyone can muster is that Ebay will freak the hell out if you try to sell a gravity knife............ but they'll let any scammer post obvious fakes with great occurence.

Comment

YEAH, I'VE SEEN THAT PHOTO HERE in someone's posted collection.

so either that seller is a member of the forum here, or you're right, it is widely circulated?

Comment

that seller's feedback is almost impeccable. Almost 1000 perfect feedbacks in a row.
            What is going on ?
            You say you bought lots of fake photos off her.
            I hope you left scathing feedback for each and every one. I dont see any bad feedbacks !!!!

As for the photo. The colouring gives it away as being dodgy. That would scare me away from it. Any photo of such a super rare subject has be analyzed extremely closely.

Comment

i'm pretty sure someone here on the forum either owns that photo, or copied it onto their hardrive, because I saw it on here a few days ago, if i can find the thread i'll post it.

Comment

I have the same photo. I bought it at one of the bigger shows from a fellow selling the prints from negatives he found in his local town in Austria. The uniforms details shown in these photos were, and are fantastic. They show real wild insignia combinations. They were printed on old photo paper until he ran out, and then he continued printing them on more modern papers. He sold them as reprints, and they were relatively inexpensive. They were well worth the price he was asking just to see some of the insgnia and badges in actual wear...Tom

Comment

Problems with Ebay Feedback

The problem with Ebay feedbacks is if you leave an honest negitive feedback on a buyer or seller that person in turn will leave a negative feedback- of course even if it is not true. It is your word against his/hers. Ebay does not care and once the feedback is submitted it stays. Thus, in order to keep 100 percent positive feedback, which is indeed important when you sell items on Ebay, many honest sellers or even buyers to a certain point will bite the bullet. I am a gold powerseller on Ebay with 100 percent positive feedback, and I am I am always cautious of this. Unfortunately, Ebay has become so large it does very little to truly police negative feedbacks. As I said, your word against the seller or buyer. In reality positive feedbacks work the way they should, but negative feedbacks on Ebay may be true or false. Interestingly, I know of instances when the seller was honest and the buyer was a mental midget.

Comment

since someone had earliers printed these on oldstock paper,

it is possible she thinks it's old.

but where the hell are people finding old paper to print the negatives on?

Comment

"OLD Paper" was until a few years ago not that hard or expensive to find especially in the 90s.

This type of real 'paper' photo stock was produced by many old east block nations. I remember paying equivalent of about $7 for 100 sheets of 8*10 and getting yelled at by my then girlfriend for spending a whole days wages on photo-paper

I still have a few boxes of paper like that sitting around in my freezer at home.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X