Another Dehumidifier post...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Dehumidifier post...

--I am going to post this on a couple of the forums, because it could apply to any area of collecting.
    --For preservation purposes I use silica gel and activated carbon to remove moisture and impurities from the air in my display cases. I also have an air purifier as well as an air conditioner (as it is summer).
    --I was wondering if any of you have gone as far as to have a dehumidifier in the house? I have a Hygrometer and it is starting to average out at around 75% to 80% humidity, this is unacceptable! I am not worried as much about the medals and such as I have silica practically shovelled into the case bottoms, but I do have paper items and also things not-necessarily-militaria-related that I don't need moisture getting at.
    Anybody? If so, any recommendations?

I've used a dehumidifier and it does a great job. The only drawback is that it generates a lot of heat. Rather than use a drip pan I've run a hose through an outside wall. Down here you can usually find used ones at thrift shops.

Comment

Tom,
      I was thinking of just getting a 25-pint dehumidifier and running it alternately (via timers) with the AC, thereby negating some of the heat (in the summer, at least).
      What do you think?

Comment

It's an idea. Just monitor your humidity and adjust the time as needed. Most of them have%age settings, so you might not even need a timer. Just be sure to remember to empty the tank.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X