UV Glow or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UV Glow or not?

I bought this photo recently but as far as I can tell it glows under UV. The front of the photo does not react to it but the edge does. Not easy to photograph but it's the straight line to the left of my light. The seller seems convinced that it is ok and does not glow. What do you say?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TerryG; 03-27-2007, 03:48 PM.

another without the light so close
    Attached Files

Comment

At the seller's request, his/my photo underneath another selected at random from my collection.
      Attached Files

Comment

The same with the room light on (it is 22.20pm here). Can anyone convince me that this is a ww2 period photo?
        Attached Files

Comment

I’ve found many times you have to be careful that you’re not interpreting reflection as glow. I would add a piece of modern copy paper to the other two items & see if the light is the same as the one in question. At first glance it does not look like WW 2 era, but try throwing a known modern piece of paper in the mix to see what you get.

Comment

I agree with Bob, i found the UV light thing a little confusing at first so i always test my photos next to a modern photo.
            Ant.

Comment

I tried locating a past thread about he same subject. In that thread someone had stated that there are some photos that are printed on modern paper but have a coating that mimicks period paper by not "glowing".

I am wondering if true might this one be one example of the technique and the edge of the paper being a givaway?

Mike

Comment

instead of comparing with a new photo, put the example over a known WWII photo, align one edge and expose the edge to the black light and see the difference, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by R MICHAEL View Post
                  I tried locating a past thread about he same subject. In that thread someone had stated that there are some photos that are printed on modern paper but have a coating that mimicks period paper by not "glowing".

I am wondering if true might this one be one example of the technique and the edge of the paper being a givaway?

Mike
                  I don't know much about the techniques involved in making paper but it is my view that the paper should not glow, period. That includes the edge! Here is the photo in question together with 2 ww2 photos taken at random from my collection. I can see that it glows. I can try taking a photo like this or like that, with this or with that, the final result is that known ww2 photos do not show any reaction to the light, from the top, the back or the edge, but this new one glows like mad on the edge.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by TerryG; 03-28-2007, 02:06 AM.

Comment

All 3 photos (the one in question + 2 ww2) on top of a sheet of printer paper. The question is would you guys have that in your collection? I have quite a few photos in mine and none of them react in this way on the edge. Thank you all for your comments and help anyway. At the end of the day, it was not that expensive and the seller is on the other side of the world so returning it may end up costing a lot! I just do not want duff stuff in my collection!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by TerryG; 03-28-2007, 12:40 AM.

Comment

This is the photo in question....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X