Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heinrich Hoffmann - Archives

Hi all,

What happened to the Heinrich Hoffmann studio and archives, was it bombed out of existence?

I'm just wondering if any of the archive survives somewhere.

Steve

Hi,

A coupe of years ago, I had the chance to look at a lot of photo albums of Hoffmann at the National Archives in DC It seems they kept the orignal negatives for a while and sent them back to the german archives
    Jean-Yves

Comment

Hoffman Photos

Years ago in my home town, I ran into a woman who's brother stayed in Hoffman's Berlin home and sent back two ammo crates full on original printed 5X7 photos from Hoffman. There were approximately 100 photos in each red file folder with the year and month on the outside. They started before 1933 and ended during 1944.
      Each photo was id on the reverse with name of event or persons in the photo, Hoffman stamp and address.
      The woman wanted $10,000 for the lot at the time (1983). I thought it was too much, as some of the photos were just country scenes, etc..
      While some of the photos were great, I just couldn't see it at the time. Today, it would be different.
      Lost contact with her since as she has passed away and the family is no longer in the house.

Comment

The Hoffmann albums are held at NARA in the USA and are available for inspection, but be warned, there are literally many thousands of photos and it takes a few weeks hard work to go through them.
        There is also the Hoffmann archive held by the Bavarian State Library in Munich. Again, thousands upon thousands of photos.
        If you don't know what you are looking for, then you have your work cut out. You also need PLENTY of time to research. Don't forget that Hoffmann owned quite a big company at the end and he employed many photographers.
        Max.

Comment

Last edited by ramon; 02-15-2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Last edited by ramon; 02-15-2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

research the hoffmann archives on line

http://www.bsb-muenchen.de/Bilder.591.0.html

Just use the link above to go to the Bayerische Staatsbibliotheek in Munich and search what they have on line of the Hoffmann archives.
              Best regards,
              Dutch
              Last edited by dutch; 02-15-2009, 01:36 AM. Reason: incorrect link

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X