Collection Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collection Storage

I realized this would eventually be inevitable, and now the time has arrived. There is no longer a suitable system by which I can store and display my collection of documents & ID’s. For some time I have been putting the items in Riker Mounts (which work quite well). But…where I can fit 5 to 6 ID’s in a mount, I can only fit 1 to 2 document’s. By the time I fit all my documents into Riker Mounts, I would have no room left in my Apt. for myself . As a temporary means of storage I have put my documents in document protectors, and then in a tupperware box (which has no display potential). Any suggestions for storage or display?

Ditch the Rikers and Tupperware fast! Horrible traps for moisture--next time you look, you'll be growing nasty mold and mildew in there. There is no substitution for archival acid free folders.

Displayable? Sadly, no. But congratulations on reaching "critical mass!" You now have to do what the rest of us do--put everything away and only keep out favorites or new stuff.

Totally air tight storage may cause as many problems as it solves. Most stuff has to have some "breathing" left to it. Believe me, I know from horrid personal experience what catastrophe can occur if you've left something "stewing" on its own.

My stuff sits wrapped up and in bank vault, but if you take things out and play with them every so often, you can monitor conditions and hopefully head off any problems before they become disasters. Rick

Comment

Just an FYI..

I was surfing for a good place to buy archival quality storage materials.

See Archival Materials Supplier

Steve
      MiSA

[ 30 May 2001: Message edited by: 007 ]

Comment

Why would you need acid free folders, seems a little extreme to me? Quite a few pieces in my collection are in mint (new) condition, and they managed to stay like that for the last 55 – 60 years (without acid free folders/paper. I don’t want my collection to last for 500 years, rather till my death would do me fine.

Comment

Whu-hoa! Lucky for you the original owners didn't feel that way! Of course, that's why Civil War stuff etc etc etc is now so rare....

It doesn't take one lifetime to ruin things forever, just a damp summer or a little neglect. I've seen Riker mount outdoor show items baked under humid sun and left unattended in a car trunk for only a week, covered in rust scale the next weekend, with beads of water under the glass. I've seen badges wrapped in paper towel lose their finish in five years (happened to me before I went "extreme"). And where do you think all those NOT mint, musty, bedraggled ID books with staples rotted away and photos flaking come from? Bad storage!

It's your stuff now, go ahead and do with it what you want (as Bob Hritz would say). But man o man--if you don't plan longterm, you could get one big thumping shock, short term! Yikes!

[ 31 May 2001: Message edited by: Rick Lundstrom ]

Comment

I prevent taking my items for casual spins in my car. My Riker mounts are stacked on top of each other in my "collection cabinet" the tempeture in my place is always a fairly air conditioned 65%. The items rarely see the light of day. I agree that the sellers that tote around their Riker mounts and goodies to and fro (and to the pool) are asking for it. Though my collection shares a room with my ferrets, so they may smell like ferrets or the smoker that I bought a few peices from. They are most likely being stored a lot better than they ever have been.

Comment

Quote: "I don’t want my collection to last for 500 years, rather till my death would do me fine."

I'm kind of suprised by your comment but they are your items and you will do as you will. My assumption, obviously wrong, is that collector's strive to take the best care of their items and would be dissapointed if their items did not outlive them.

My personal opinnion is that if my documents were left in a condition that would leave them to detereorate at rate to become worthless at my time of death (assuming normal lifespan, I hope ) would be an unecessary and preventable waste in terms of: significant monetary value, loss of an item of historical significance and an irretrievable loss to the collector community.

Considering loss to the collector community, I'm glad the first generation of WWII collectors' (and original owners) took enough care to allow their items to live longer than themselves so we can all enjoy them today.

Steve

[ 31 May 2001: Message edited by: 007 ]

Comment

I also use the acid free folders. Although it can be a bit cumbersome. I kind of view myself as a caretaker of these documents and try to make them last until the next generation.

Sincerely

Brad

Comment

Ok you got me. I suppose it would be nice to have them around for my future children, and their children. But, I am skeptical of the need for acid freefolders??? What do they accomplish that a document protector from 3M wont?

PS: Drat my GF opened a window in my room. I have lectured her before on the harmful efects of temperture variants on my collection. Grrrrr.

[ 31 May 2001: Message edited by: reichpapers ]

Comment

If 3M document protectors are the Polyester type, often called by manufacturer names Dupont 'Mylar' or 'Melinex' then you are giving them good immediate protection.

If the document is placed in the polyester protector and then the album (binder, folder) you place them in is also of archival quality, i.e. not a PVC or "regular stationery" then all you have to worry about is the room environment and if your ferrets escape and pee on your folders. I would imagine ferret pee is quite acidic.

Ordinary stationery binders may contain PVC and acidic paper products. The PVC contains plasticizers/softners and the acids generated over time attack the items they enclose, turning paper yellow and brittle and can tarnish and help oxidize metal surfaces etc. paper is a fibrous cellulose structure which will be broken down by moisture and acids.

Many of the papers used in the war will already have acid in them, especially propaganda materials like posters which were not meant to last. These cheap papers had a high acidic wood pulp content.

A while back I read quite a few documents on the web about the envirmonmental conditions best suited for storage and I think between under 18 degrees C, (a bit cool to live in though ) ideally between 10 and 15 degrees C and humidity under 65% ideally between 30% and 50%.

The humidity in the environment I assume impacts the rate of "acidification" and importantly will affect deterioration by mould and perhaps insect attack as organisms such as mould and fungi need mositure.

Also if you do display, we know the UV from sunlight will age paper but also remember if you have any flourescent light in the room this also contains UV. (a lot of UV with the "daylight" style tubes)

Steve

[ 01 June 2001: Message edited by: 007 ]

Comment

I have found the better 'comic book' stores have archival quality MYLAR bags and acid free backing card stock. These keep the documents rigid and prevent further deterioration. There are acids in wood pulp papers of the 20th century, so without giving your documents a deacidification bath (used by comic book collectors), you have to take reasonable precautions. If you want to display documents behind glass, have them properly matted on acid free backing and mats and use UV filtering glass. Please beware of the old RIKER brand mounts. Many of these older specimen mounts had special chemicals in the cotton batting to preserve dead insects. This is horrible for medals, badges, and papers. You will see many a late war badge with nice obverse finish and dull grey reverse. This is from improper storeage. Also, the nice wooden mounts with the foam rubber insert are disasterous for storing collectibles. If you must use them, please completely remove the foam or completely wrap and seal it with something that will prevent moisture from sitting against the items you are displaying. I believe in property rights, but I also believe in conserving the things to protect them and their value. If you think this stuff is valuable and we are overzealous, check the guys who pay $50,000 for an old comic book printed on heavy acid paper.
                      Bob Hritz
                      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz:
                        <STRONG>display documents behind glass, have them properly matted on acid free backing and mats and use UV filtering glass. Please beware of the old RIKER brand mounts. Many of these older specimen mounts had special chemicals in the cotton batting to preserve dead insects.
                        Bob Hritz</STRONG>
                        I've seen people put modern felt over the batting Bob mentions above which should make things worse as I think Formaldehyde is used in the manufacture of the felt.

Bob also mentions wood frames, Oak has a high acidity content, common wood for frames!

If you use UV filtering glass, then the UV coating should be on the viewing side not the document side.

Steve

Comment

I started a topic on Zinc corrosion in the medals area.

I just wanted to post a link here which Mikael (M. Gidhagen) posted on the Zinc topic which is very interesting and it details acidity of woods, very relevant here also.

Harmful Effects of Wood ( and other material Info)

Quoting the above link's information:
                          "Very Harmful
                          Unseasoned oak (white and red)
                          Plywood and chipboard
                          Teak
                          Basswood Sweet chestnut
                          Fire-proofed woods
                          Rot-proofed woods

Moderately Harmful
                          Seasoned oak
                          Larch
                          Ash Birch
                          Beech
                          Red cedar

Less Harmful
                          Sitka spruce
                          Douglas fir
                          Pine
                          Honduras and African mahogany Elm
                          Ramin
                          Obeche"

Steve

[ 03 June 2001: Message edited by: 007 ]

Comment

I am curious about storage of documents if one would want to display them. If acid free matting is used as a backing and the glass of the frame is placed directly on the matting (forming a sandwich of matting, document and glass), will this cause deterioration problems? I have heard that glass should not be in contact with paper as it is impenetrable by moisture and if moisture were to get on the document, it would not be able to get out. However, in forming a tight seal with the above mentioned sandwich, would any moisture be able to get into the document? Also would there be a problem with the documents not being able to "breathe" and what would be the consequences of this? I fully realize that the documents, if hung or displayed, would have to be kept away from light. Any danger of the glass being in contact with the document other than the moisture trapping problem? Also, since lighting is necessary to view the documents, what is the best, least damaging light source to use? I have heard they use halogen in museums, but this seems like it would put out lots of heat. As Steve has mentioned and I have heard before, flourescent light is probably the worst. I really would like to display the documents with the awards in my collection rather than relegating them to a drawer.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X