some new color slides Paris 1940

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some new color slides Paris 1940

Hi guys, i just picked up a small collection of color slides taken in 1940.
    Mostly civilian and of Paris and the sourrounding french counrtyside but i think i spotted something lufty.
    Do these shots look like downed french planes ? and does anyone have any idea what these flag barriers belong too ?
    Thanks.
    Ian

I think the last photo shows the flag of the PPF (Parti Populaire Francais), a right wing movement headed by Doriot.

Comment

Thanks Terry for the info and yes i think your bang on !
      I never knew about this group before but i did a quick google and they have a colourful history.
      Its kinda interesting to think, as the germans were marching through paris, these guys jumped on the same opertunity to gain political might.
      But i wouldnt image, these chaps were very popular with the french resistance during and after tthe war?
      Thanks again.
      Ian

Comment

My guess is it's a B-17. The truss type ribs, olive drab exterior with chromate green interior, looks like the star & bar insignia with red surround.

Regards,
        Mike

Comment

very interesting about the B17, i thought these images would have been taken in 1940 paris and sourrounding france, but if these images are infact a downed american B17, this would certianly push back this date.
          Any ideas between the downed B17 and the french right wing parade, when these images were taken ?
          Thank You.
          Ian

Comment

I would say that the logo on the flags dates to later rather than early in the war. I would also assume that after 6th June 1944, these groups will have become more active with such parades so all this may help date the photo....maybe...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X