Was this a good pickup ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was this a good pickup ??

Have just purchased these items and am wondering if I got them for a good price, ebay had just flicked them and as the seller was in my home town I took a look., he had recently inherited them from his German grandmother and he set the price. The grouping all for the same soldier, cost $433USD, it includes EK2 with award document, solid back unmarked silver wound badge with document plus document only for the black wound badge, plus the solid back silver infantry assault badge, maker GW plus award certificate, medal bar with ribbon for the Eastern front medal and EK2, plus any thing significant with the documents, thanks
    Mark
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a nice set. I think for $433 you didn't steal it, but depending on condition of the medals, a decent price. congratulations!

best
        Hank
        Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
        ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

That is a nice set you have, i think the price is actually good because of the medals included, you won't get an unmarked EK II even on this E-Stand for under $90.00, then factor in the silver wound & IAB. Then you can look at the price of the documents on their own, not a set that's gonna set the world on fire, but still a decent set.
          So all in all, i think you did pretty well
          If they were mine i'd get them framed up together, keeping the medals with the certificates.
          Ant.

Comment

Thanks for you comments guys, the sad part for this soldier, he was killed in the last year of the war, leaving wife and two children, his wife married a Pole who fought with the British and her grandson said she kept this collection hidden from her second husband. Not sure how to preserve them, whether to store them folded as they have been for years or flat??

Comment

Store them flat even if they have been folded in the past. I would store each one seperately in a protective plastic wallet, you can pick them up from any stationary shop, A5 ones.
              If you're going to frame up the set with medals it's actually best to take them to a printers & see if they could scan them & print out copies on similar paper for mounting. Make sure if it's to go on the wall to get the back of the frame sealed to avoid any damp getting to the medals.
              Hope that helps, Ant.
              Last edited by antwhiplash; 03-15-2007, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Hi Ant, thanks for that advice, have put them in A4 and flat until I can get the A5. Thats a good idea to mount copies, avoids light damage. I tend not to display alot about because of breakins ,
                cheers
                Mark down under

Comment

I think you did well. If you take the items individually it adds up to more than what you paid, plus as a grouping from one person they are a little more special than just a collection of medals. Also, you can get an unmarked EK2 on the estand for under $90. Not all the time but I saw at least one go this week, maybe more. A good set I say. Of course condition of the medals could swing the actual value one way or the other. Any pictures?

Comment

some pics of the awards, in pretty good condition,
                    Attached Files

Comment

2. The EK2 is unmarked,
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Campell View Post
                        Also, you can get an unmarked EK2 on the estand for under $90. Not all the time but I saw at least one go this week, maybe more.
                        Sorry to disagree, but ever since i joined a couple of members say this. I look at the Badges e-stand on average every 2 hours during the day & at night most nights & i have just looked through 5 pages but the cheapest i can find from this week is $90.00.
                        I wish i could find them under $90.00 as i would be buying them all, as in the U.K. that is less than £45.00, which is very cheap

Mark, that EK is nice, the badges are too, nice little group & a good price. Now you just need to work out who signed the documents, that could put the value up as well

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X