new arrivals. help with gun id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new arrivals. help with gun id

got these two new additions to my collection. the writing on the reverse locates the place as Calais in 1940. the word 'Herbst' is also written on both.

i can identify a luftwaffe eagle on the helmet and forage caps and im 70% sure the gun is an 88.

can someone confirm the id on the gun and can someone also shed some light on the word 'Herbst', which im sure is some kind of abbreviation

thanks
    jonathan

Herbst is Autumn.
    Max.

Comment

thanks max
      jonathan

Comment

Looks like an 88 but (and that is a big but) a number of the Flak units around
        Calais used captured English 3.7-Inch QF AA hard to tell from the pics though.

Comment

a close up of the bit of the gun we can see. hope it helps.

would those English 3.7-Inch QF AA be breech loaders? seems to me that these guys are pushing a pull through through the gun

Comment

Seems like an 88 to me, the shield, cylinder on top with the small 'thing' on top of it gives it away for me.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard View Post
              Seems like an 88 to me, the shield, cylinder on top with the small 'thing' on top of it gives it away for me.
              great minds think alike simon. the 'thing' at the top also made me think 88, though the gun shield is also pointing me in that direction.

by the way does anyone knoe what the proper name for the 'thing' top is called and what its function was?

thanks
              jonathan

Comment

That "thing" holds a panoramic telescope when the gun is used as an indirect artillery piece.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X