Exposing a forged Martin Bormann document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Martin Bormann document (apparently SOLD by Charles Snyder http://www.snyderstreasures.com/imag...mannLetter.jpg) is a forgery. I know this for a fact because I own the original. When I tried to politely point this out to Mr. S, he told me to pi$$ off.

To anyone who wants to collect these kind of things, here are some obvious points to note:

Fake:
    8.5 x 11 size paper
    large file punch holes
    coffee stains (yeah, right...)
    small signature
    Attached Files

And here we have Authentic:

A4 size paper (with embossed eagle in NSDAP letterhead)
    small file punch holes
    legitimate aging (rusty paper clips, foxing, moisture stains, etc.)
    large signature (Bormann usually signed boldly)

So, to avoid wasting your money - NOW YOUR SUBJECT!
    Attached Files

Comment

Well spotted and thanks for the heads up...

Documents like this are so easy to fake by just tearing a page out of an old book, running it through a photo-copier with the heading of your choice and then typing in the relevant info with a fake signature at the bottom.

I know of several LSSAH EK documents that are fake with the addition of an original document stamp at the bottom that were done like this. All signed by Wisch.

Cheers,
      Brett

Comment

Screw Snyder - he is a cancer on the hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by DZR View Post
          To anyone who wants to collect these kind of things, here are some obvious points to note:

Fake:
          8.5 x 11 size paper
          large file punch holes
          coffee stains (yeah, right...)
          small signature
          You are quite right, of course, your document is genuine whilst the other is a total fake. However, your points to note are not all correct.
          I have several authentic Bormann documents on both smaller and larger than A4 size stationery. Standard letter paper sizes varied in the 1930s and 1940s.
          Your point about stains is well made, but tea is usually used as it gives a better ageing appearance. However, this rarely works as it is almost impossible to replicate foxing.
          You failed to mention the most obvious flaw in the fake above; the lack of the embossed eagle in the heading. This style of NSDAP stationery always had an embossed eagle.
          Max.
          Last edited by max history; 11-17-2007, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I am currently reading the book "Selling Hitler" the story of the fake Hitler Diaries. There is a Charles Synder mentioned in that. Is it one of the same?

Comment

cool, where is he mentioned? I have that book myself, its a great read.
              Ian

Comment

Originally posted by atomicmisfit View Post
                cool, where is he mentioned? I have that book myself, its a great read.
                Ian
                He is mentioned on 2 pages.(54 and 387 in the first edition HB)

Page 54 : A militaria dealer in Maryland USA, Charles Synder sold locks of Eva Brauns hair for $3500 and following a deal with the official american executioner sold strands from the ropes which hanged the Nuremburg war criminals

Page 387 goes into more details of the above and why people do what they do and spend ridiculous money on items of a dubious nature,.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett Dixon View Post
                  Documents like this are so easy to fake by just tearing a page out of an old book, running it through a photo-copier with the heading of your choice and then typing in the relevant info with a fake signature at the bottom.

I know of several LSSAH EK documents that are fake with the addition of an original document stamp at the bottom that were done like this. All signed by Wisch.

Cheers,
                  Brett
                  Anything that's been photo copied or printed on a modern laser or inkjet printer will look different under a magnifying glass to a document printed in a printing press.

Easy to fake, yes. Easy to pass off as genuine? Depends on the buyer doesn't it.
                  Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

True Simon,
                    But as the saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute......

Comment

Major

Page 54 : A militaria dealer in Maryland USA, Charles Synder sold locks of Eva Brauns hair for $3500 and following a deal with the official american executioner sold strands from the ropes which hanged the Nuremburg war criminals

The same !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X