U boat gun crew with helmets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U boat gun crew with helmets?

I was wondering if anybody had a war time picture of a U boat gun crew wearing steel helmets?

I remeber that on U534 they found steel pots inside, in all the photos i have examined I have found destroyer and battleship crews wearing helmets but never U boat cres

The Typ VII subs were armed with 88mm or 105mm guns (in the earlier days of war) and with 20mm twin AAG and 37mm AAG, the gunners had to wear helmets I think.

Comment

I agree, yet all the war time photos i have seen they have oversea`s caps, never helmets. All the gun crews with helmts that I have seen are not on U boat but larger ships

Comment

I just checked all my U-boat photos, nope, not a single helmet being worn.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that we can found some regulations that the gun crews had to wear helmets, but real life is an other thing.
          In a sub You had to store things like steel helmets save to doesn't make any noise while diving. Just a guess that they can not get them fast enough when they had to manned the guns?

Someone out there collection KM manuals and regulations?

Comment

Here is the only one I have in my collection. The boat's number is unknown.

Regards,
            Haruki
            Last edited by Torpedomaat; 09-05-2007, 07:31 AM.

Comment

aha!!!!

So they did wear them, great photo, I just feel pitty for those guys, apart form those heavy Zeiss binouculars, the fact that they alos have to wear helmets durin watch

I guess it had to be like that, no time to go below and get them in case of an attack

But I ma sure it was not a common paractice!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime Sadurni View Post
                I remeber that on U534 they found steel pots inside, in all the photos i have examined I have found destroyer and battleship crews wearing helmets but never U boat cres
                they certainly did and those steel helmets are on display in the little museum hat right next U534 in Birkenhead dockyard, which is only about 10 miles away from where I live...I have been there quite a few times...but sadly it is now closed and who knows what will happen to it...here is a great site about U534 and the display in Birkenhead...http://www.mikekemble.com/ww2/u534.html

Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime Sadurni View Post
                  I was wondering if anybody had a war time picture of a U boat gun crew wearing steel helmets?

Visite: http://www.u-historia.com -->Historia-->Indumentaria -->Casco de acero

Comment

great links with info thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Spanish Freiwillige View Post

Hi at all!

It's an old post but take a look my friends, please....See at this photo in:
                      http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-848.htm
                      Gunners take cover as PB4Y-1 107-B-12 passes overhead during the second attack on U-848 by LT Charles A. Baldwin, USNR

Jan.

Comment

Great photo

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Davis View Post
                          Great photo
                          And sad, very sad.....Do you don't think as me, Mike?

Jan.

Comment

Thank you for showing that U848 photo. I had not seen it before. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X