Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange photo in Album from Norway

Hello folks

A couple of months ago, I purchased two photoalbums that belonged to a german soldier who served in Norway 1940-1944 and then were sent to the russian front. He was killed at Narwa the same year...

The albums contains the type of pictures you would expect of such an album. The soldiers friends, pictures of different Norwegian cities (Flekkefjord..etc),Skiing, awards ceremonies and THESE
    Attached Files

I dont recognize the uniforms worn by "the foreign volunteers/prisoners". The sceanery seem typical Norwegian....

Any thoughts on this? Pardon the bad scanns, by the way
    Attached Files

Comment

French colonial troops but are they serving as HIWIS here?
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

That might be...

Have you ever seen similar pictures before?

Comment

Plenty from France as POWs but not of black troops\POWs serving as hiwis
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

It would be hard to find out anything about these soldiers, wouldnt it? Where Hiwi's assigned to different units, or were they gathered in special units? Its interesting, none the less. I cant find any other explaination that they are hiwi's

Comment

I would say Hiwi.. they are holding the horses ( typical job was to care for these animals), they do not appear to be under any guard, looks like everyone is pretty relaxed.

A close up of the pair standing on the far right (next to the soldat with the flashlight) would be nice,.

Comment

Pow's (French colonial troper uniform) doing farm work

Comment

It would be very difficult to prove these photos are taken in Norway as well. I see the photos are glued in the album. Are the photos from Norway attached with photo corners? That would be typical for a seller adding some photos to an album that was not 100% complete. Do you recognise the same men appearing in both these and the Norway photos?

It also looks like there is writing on the back of at least the first pic. Is there any way you could try to read it?

Comment

Hello
                    I have have seen albums from german soldiers stationed in Norway, who also served in France.
                    I cant be say im 100 % certain, but im quite certain that those photos isnt from Norway.
                    If possible, mention some of the cities in your album, and year/dates.
                    Then it should be possible to identfy untits.
                    Cant recall wich regiment it was, but at least one particpated in the invasion of France, later to end up in Norway.
                    lolle

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X