EspenlaubMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Knight's Cross Document Signature - the Real Deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Knight's Cross Document Signature - the Real Deal?

Hi Folks,

What are the chances of a August 1941 signature being an AH original? This was darn near a posthumous award, so the officer wouldn't have been "summoned" for an official presentation.

What's concensus on these? Thanks - s/f Robert
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RobertE; 08-23-2006, 10:22 PM.

Document - what say ye?
    Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 12-18-2006, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Here's that signature - hope it tells us something -
        Attached Files

Comment

View 2 -
          Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 12-18-2006, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks John. I guess I'll keep it anyway! s/f Robert

Comment

KC document

Is the dot behind the 21 a triangle?

Comment

I'll check tonight when I get home. What does that tell us?

Comment

The triangle is a good sign.

I agree about the signature......but it isn't autopen.

These RK citations were hand-done, and the calligrapher did the facsimile signature to a template at the same time as he/she did the rest of the citation. The ink is the same throughout. These are always identical.

John posted a nice original AH signature. They are usually (not always) in blue ink. Here's another. Like all signatures, no two are exactly alike.

That's a nice citation!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting, Robin. I didn't realize the draftsman who letter the document did the signature as well. The document lettering has a slightly auburn tone to the black letters, but the AH is in black. Maybe he switched inks?

I got this RK with literally a ping-pong table groaning with German stuff: visor hats, flags, uniforms, pistols, insignia, field equipment, medals. He told me he had the medal for this document, as he got both of them from the same building. Sounded like it had been on a funeral pillow. I bought all of it for 100.00 and a portuguese 98k rifle in trade. I had just gone over to trade the rifle for a mint pair of M44 trousers I'd been trying to get for 15 years, and he broke loose with the entire lot - a great surprise for me. He'd been a Generals' aide.

When I got to the paper lunch bag of medals, which he told me contained the cross, all it had were KVKIIs, and all with swords. It was full of them, but no KC. He described it, but couldn't find it. I don't know what ever happened to the KC, but it was a great day for me.

Back to the document - I'll look at the color differences again this evening. Thanks again for weighing in with comment.

s/f Robert

Comment

The story of the large RK documents is unusual at best. Few are originally signed by Hitler, especially after 1940. Most are hand signed, but not by him. The man that signed for Hitler did it throughout the war.
                        This being stated, the large documents are rather rare. They were done by the same artist and she has her name on the bottom of the casette. The normal issuing of these documents stopped around 1941, although some are dated later in the war and they continued to be made until the end.
                        A work of art, these are very collectible.
                        Ron Weinand

Comment

Is that right, you paid only 100 $ for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bullwyf
                            Is that right, you paid only 100 $ for it?
                            According to the story, he bought a whole buncha stuff for $100 and a rifle. So probably a dollar or two for the document.

THAT is what we all dream about!

Hank
                            Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                            ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Right, it was 100.00 for the whole table of stuff, including the KC document. His wife had called in on the radio trade show we used to have in my town, and she told us she had a book with Hitler's name in it. I thought it was probably a facsimile Meine Kampf, but i didn't have one and eventually we went to see it. Every time I visited from that day on, the vet brought more little from the garage (I thought). Wasn't very interested in selling any of it, but was pleased to see a young person interested.

I left for the service in 1980, and he had only sold me a pair of RAD winter work trousers for 40.00 at that time. He shied back everytime I made an offer on anything, but we remained friendly and i enjoyed his stories.

I was home on leave and called him in 1984. I had a M40 tunic that matched his M40 trousers in wear (mint) and had had no luck finding a pair in like condition. I told him with just a little irritation that the trousers didn't match the uniform items he had, that i really needed them, and that i'd trade him an 8mm rifle, which was certainly something he could display more easily than the trousers. I really had about given up getting anything meaningful at that stage, and I'm sure he could tell that from my voice. To my surprise, he said he'd make the trade and set a time that afternoon.

I was looking forward to it when I arrived; he only lived about 1/2 mile from my folks. After pleasantries, we went down to his basement, which i didn't know he'd even had and there was the ping pong table, damn near bending in the middle. There was two feet of german stuff there, and the trousers on top. He told me he wouldn't take the rifle, and my heart sank. Instead, he said he wanted 100.00. His wife was smiling at me over his shoulder, and I knew she's had a hand it it. Well, I didn't have the money, and this was before ATMs, so I told him I'd have to run home and get it (from the folks). He said fine, packed up my truck with his stuff, and i dropped the check off that afternoon. I had to push the rifle on him - he didn't want it and as before, was pleased to see I still liked the stuff.

The KC document was in there. It was a great find, and I was most pleased. True story.

s/f Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X