Front photo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front photo?

I just got this photo. I immediately noticed, after I got it, that the "G" for Gruppe Guderian, is backwards. The picture seems odd to me. The border of the picture itself comes very close to the edge of the paper. Closer than I have seen in the past. It is stamped "Agfa Brovira" underlined once. It also looks very "light" to me.

Do you think this is a repo? A picture that was developed in reverse (if that is possible)? What are your thoughts?
    Attached Files

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Mark, great photo! I like it from what I see. Have you done a BL test? this is not definitive but should be a good indicator.
      The photo does look loke it is reversed. I have a couple of period prints that were developed this way so I would'nt worry.

If you ever turn it loose let me know!

Mike

Comment

Michael,

Thanks! I have not done the BL yet. Dinner is going! I was a little worried about the reverse G but I as I think more on it, it seems I have seen it before.

I was more worried about the "bleached" look to it and the way the picture was close to the edge of the paper. That was all, just something you don't often see.

Anyone know what unit emblem this is?

Mark

Comment

Mark, the "bleached" look could be from the developement process but am not 100% sure. I still would add it to my collection anytime. As for the unit ID not sure.

Mike

Comment

Hi Mark

I have a few photos that have been developed in reverse. The photo looks like it has been overexposed. The borders are a bit unusual though.

Here's the photo flipped and with a bit of exposure.

Cheers

Larry
            Attached Files

Comment

Michael and Larry,

Thanks again! I'll have some nice automobile photos, complete with unit markings and license plates. coming soon for you guys! Larry got a preview!

Larry, perhaps you posted this photo on the forum before?

Mark

Comment

This particular photo was printed from a color slide (Farbdia). Color slides were usually mounted on paper/metal frame and sometimes it is difficult to tell which side is which. Hence reversed prints result.

This photo was taken in 1941 in Russia, 18.Panzer-Division.

Comment

Thank You Akira!

Panzer Gruppe 2 - Guderian

18th Panzer Division was part of the XXXXVII Korp with the 17th Panzer, 29th Motorized Infantry Division and the 167th Infantry Div.

Participated in the Smolensk battles!

Akira I replied to your response on the "unknown unit emblem thread"!

Thank you,

Mark

Comment

marc,
                    may i ask where you got that pic from? i recently picked up a set of photos with similar overexposure and identical strange cut edges from a german seller. coincidence?
                    werner

Comment

Werner, you talk as if you are not 100% sure! Well of course this must have come from Mr. Bethge, with what-I-call-it Bethge edge.

I bought off him one of his color slides, which is very nice (and very bad in that the seldom encountered group was split). B/W photos were made from these slides.

Comment

I mean this pic's are not period . The Farbias cames from a Kriegsfotograf ( war photograph ) .Perhaps he has maked copies , or an other people .
                        Akira , what do you mean with Bedge edge ?
                        Thanks.

Comment

Yes, the photo came from Enrico Bethge, also known as Lehesten. I have purchased a few pictures from him. I understand though that some people do not like his photos. He sells reprints, but marks them as such on his auction. This was advertised as 100 % Original!

Tobau, you say for certain this is a post war reprint?

Mark

Comment

thanks guys for the info. my pics had not come from Bethge, if they were from him my alarm bells would have gone off automatically. i stopped buying from him a long time ago, although he surely has good stuff on offer as well. but even then he tries to play tricks on you and he´s doing it so clumsy it hurts. just a few hours ago i had stumbled over one of his auctions: http://cgi.ebay.de/Wehrmacht-Fuehrer...QQcmdZViewItem here he is selling an original, but rather ordinary WH-class 2+3 driving licence, but he is advertising it as licence for Selbstfahrlafette Marder , Sdkfz., Demag Zugmaschine und LKW Maultier! no comment...
                            w.

Comment

Enrico shows are not for starters, that is without question. And as you say, his captions are laughable. No reliability at all.

Werner, "Bethge edge" photos are spreading out steadily these days. Though not often I receive such prints from "new" sellers. I don't return them unless I am utterly unsatisfied with the images themselves, but putting a lot of money on photos have even greater risk than before, so I feel.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X