Otto Skorzeny charcoal drawing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Otto Skorzeny charcoal drawing

An intriguing charcoal portrait of a German SS Sturmbannfuhrer having an extensive scar on the left cheek/chin. The subject wears SS Major’s collar tabs as well as the Ritterkreuz suspended from the neck and the subject would be hard to place as anyone but Otto Skorzeny unless I’m seeing things. Thought I would share this with a question as I don't collect SS stuff: during what period was Skorzeny a Major?
    It is undated & unsigned in a 16 inch by 22 inch silvered wood frame in excellent condition. It appears, from under the paper sealing the back, that someone mounted the old drawing to an artist’s board (which was signed: "B. Petersen"), then, matted & framed it. The drawing itself shows the yellowing of age.
    The portrait was obtained, at a recent estate sale from an elderly oriental (Japanese, it’s believed) lady, who was married to a German officer of the period. She was in the process of moving at the time of purchase and she had a similar portrait (not for sale, oil on canvas) of a German officer that she identified as her former husband.
    Attached Files

Second photo
    Attached Files

Comment

last photo.
      Attached Files

Comment

Skorzeny was promoted to Sturmbannf******252;hrer in September 1943 as a reward for the success of "Unternehmen Eiche" [Operation Oak] (the liberation of Mussolini). He also received the Knight's Cross for this.

The drawing seems to be based on this picture.

Comment

Thanks very much - appreciate the link! The photo's a match for sure. Rick C.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X