Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funeral - 2nd SS Reiterschwadron

Hello!

I just got some interesting pictures from a funeral regarding the 2nd SS Reiterschwadron.

I need some help regarding the name of the back of one photo. The text below the line says (according to the seller):
    "Der Schimmel ist das Pferd von dem gefallenen Haupsturmführer [Görtz] der 2. SS Reiterschwadron in Cholm".

Görtz is my best guess since he was the commander the 2nd squadron in SS-Kav.-Reg 1.
    According to "Riding East" (page 151) Görtz died 18th of March 1942.

Was the SS-Kav. in Cholm? A close by town to the Pripet Marshes is Chelm (Riding East, page 212).

Cheers, Stefan
    Attached Files

Front
    Attached Files

Comment

Another picture
      Attached Files

Comment

close-up
        Attached Files

Comment

Ulrich G******246;rtz, the Schwadron was based in Cholm during the early phase of deployment

Comment

Thanks Mark

/Stefan

Comment

My mother-in-law from Germany is staying with me at the moment. She is 72 and reads Sütterlin German perfectly as it was the style she first learnt to read and write as a young girl. She is adamant that your mystery word is not Görtz and says it is either Heft (Hest) or Geft (Gest). My vote goes to Gest (gestorben).
              Max.

Comment

Originally posted by max history
                My mother-in-law from Germany is staying with me at the moment. She is 72 and reads S******252;tterlin German perfectly as it was the style she first learnt to read and write as a young girl. She is adamant that your mystery word is not G******246;rtz and says it is either Heft (Hest) or Geft (Gest). My vote goes to Gest (gestorben).
                Max.
                Thanks for the information Max and also thank your mother in law

Then it's perhaps "Hest", since the word "gefallenen" is already written to describe his state. The "H" in Heldenfriedhof look much like the first letter of the name, but I believe that "H" and "G" looks the same.
                I'll have to look up the best name match when I get home...

Can your mother in law see what the text reads above the line? I believe it ends with "...zum Heldenfriedhof".

Cheers,
                Stefan
                Last edited by stefan_swe; 08-14-2006, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Abfarht meiner Kameraden zum Heldenfriedhof.
                  Max.

Comment

Thanks Max.

I post the rest of the burial...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Not everyone had the runes sewn on...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

those are very nice photos i would love to own them my self kindregards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X