Notice: Fake SS Photo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice: Fake SS Photo's

Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 12-18-2006, 12:02 AM.

Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 12-17-2006, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

John, Thanks so much for posting these repro'd pics. First off as a photo collecter I am very interested in seeing repop'ed pics, it gives me an idea what to look for.
                  Some of the pics look odd to me. Some are a little underexposed, or wierd exposure. These would make me pass on those specific pics. The ones I would pickup would be the ones with the original looking crinkle edges, and crisp in focus images.
                  what makes these repops? Are they "known" images, and thus unlikely to be original photos. Or are they on post war paper stock etc.?

Thanks again John.

Mike

Comment

Comment

Thank you John. It is all about having the item in hand even with photos. I am glad you didn't get stung with the whole lot..
                      I buy a number of photos from ebay and as you know you have to go with you gut instinct as well as your own educated opinion when buying.

All the best. Mike

Comment

Good work John. I have a couple of Heer studio shots from eBay that under examination turned up to be post war copies. Nothing showing anything scarce or rare in content. Just nice Heer uniform or group shots. They look authentic from the dealers pic when seen on eBay, but when held in hand and examined it becomes apparent they are not of the period. These are not from the often seen copies taken from the German Red Cross archive, or from several other groups of repros that are circulating on the market either. If I get a scanner will post. Collectors should be on there toes out there.

Comment

A good many of those shots are very well known and appear in a good few books. I daresay they've been printed continually since they were first taken and up to today, it makes it somewhat difficult to define what is 'reproduction' and what is 'original'. Those formal portrait shots in particular will have been 'reproduced' in their thousands pre-May '45, some from the negative, some from a print and again post-May '45.

Private photos developed and printed only once are one thing but 'official' or PK photos printed many times? Are you paying for the age of the photo paper, the image, the quality of the print or purely the subject matter?
                          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Speaking as one who obtains photos for the images, original or not, I would be very happy to own these, just for the sake of one or two whose subject matter is exactly my interest.
                            Max.

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X