Waffen-SS signed photo wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen-SS signed photo wall

Finished this new wall of personally dedicated Waffen-SS large format photos. Includes:

Sonne (KC)
    Barkmann (KC)
    Kumm (Swords and GC)
    Brosow (KC and GC)
    Kam (KC)
    Thaler (GC)
    Garscha (GC, cover photo of 1 of my books)
    Ehm (GC and Close Combat Clasp in Gold)
    Diercks (GC)
    Seegerer (GC)
    Düsel (GC and Close Combat Clasp in Gold)
    Baum (Swords and GC)
    Herpolsheimer (GC)

Thanks to Fran for helping resize

Mark
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    Last edited by Mark C. Yerger; 07-03-2007, 07:09 PM.

Super job Mark, well done!!

I know those are all signed photos too!

Thanks for showing,
    Mike

Comment

Thanks Michael

Yes, all are signed and individually dedicated to me. Have one more wall to do as framing is completed. Showed some of the other walls in an earlier post.

Mark

Comment

... I suggest you just remove the clutter on top of the shelf...

Comment

the clutter is picture hangers and materials for cleaning the photos while working on the wall..........

Comment

I do not unerstand why this is not getting more traffic and more .

Mark's collection of autographs from personalities we've all read about is amazing. I have seen more excitement here over a handful of black wound badges. These individuals are legendary and this collection has more historical signifigance than the majority of collections floating around these forums.

Thanks Mark for sharing it.

Comment

Thanks

I assume the average collector knowledge (or interest) is limited to "repro or real" and "how much?" with little interest in the history involved or desire to meet/know the actual personalities of the period.

Mark

Comment

Or with all due respect.

Some are not all that interested in the SS.

Nice display, just of no interest to me.

Cheers

Karl

Comment

Granted, then seems strange a thread of portraits of nobodys got 250 replies and 15,000 views ? I guess to each his own. I wouldn't trade actually knowing personalities for all the militaria on the planet.

Comment

Yes I agree with you there.

I have listened to a few vet stories shared over the table while my father and his friends where enjoying a beer or two.

A story that stands out to mind was when my father was talking about how the human body could do extraordinary things under stress. He was not in the armed services but was a constable. One day he was called to a domestic dispute. After knocking on the door he was presented with a double barrel shot gun. He was surprised how fast he moved and how high he could jump as he cleared the fence.

This lead on to a Kiwi Italian Campaign vet talking about how he and a mate were told to scout out a barn or similar structure. They came round the corner and meet two Germans who where having lunch. After dispatching the two and hearing more voices they decided to clear out as fast as they could. Again a high hedge, I seem to recall, had to be cleared.

Cheers

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Mark C. Yerger
                      Granted, then seems strange a thread of portraits of nobodys got 250 replies and 15,000 views ? I guess to each his own. I wouldn't trade actually knowing personalities for all the militaria on the planet.
                      Those "portraits of nobodys (sic)" are far more interesting than your repeated showing off with these photos that nowadays anybody can buy over the internet, signatures included. Suum quique, indeed!

Comment

Maikafer

Please show me where on the internet one buys large format SS KC photos with a personal dedication inscribed to you with your name and the individual's signature ???? Considering I own the original photos of many they signed enlargements of, your comment seems rather unimformed and unfounded at best.

Mark C. Yerger
                        Last edited by Mark C. Yerger; 07-21-2006, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 12-17-2006, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I am a collector, and very interested in the history as well (an example: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=167910 ). For me these photos are pieces of paper made and signed after the war and present only a very limited interest. They were not "there", and arent any more interesting for me then the vets slippers from 1985. But like you said, to each his own.
                            Also, I am one of those who believes that wars are mostly fought by "nobodies", and they are much more important then the few people who managed to get famous for various reasons. I have interviewed many nobodies who were very impressive to talk to and listen to.
                            Calling WW2 soldiers "nobodies" is to me simply a lack of respect, just like these men were already treated inferiorly during the war compared to officers, with less chances of getting medals, etc, etc. The fame of your "historical figures" was often built on the blood of "nobodies", and to continue to have a cult for the "historical figures" and to call the other "nobodies" 60 years after the war is to me a lack or respect and understanding.
                            I am not realy into the personality cult thing; and having a collection of only SS items is showing interest in a very limited aspect of "history".
                            Collect what ever you want, but you dont have to lash out on collectors if they dont like the same things that you do.

JL

Comment

You both obviously missed my point. The thread I labeled "nobodys" was photos of those (without even their names) and no knowledge of them, simply of interest for what they are wearing. No interest in THEM at all as people, just their clothing/insignia. To have no, or minimal, interest in the history of the period you collect is like collecting cars if you can't drive and don't want to learn or don't know anything about the manufacturer. Its obvious and I stand corrected, the "fake/real/how much" info is more than enough knowledge for most and I apologize for any unintended insult while promising to not post anything besides simple militaria items in the future. As to assistance from strictly militaria collectors, 4 have contributed anything in some 20 years so it would GENERALLY SEEM the strictly militaria collector cares little to contribute towards the actual recording of history or interest in that history, despite some statements to the contrary. Thats fine, their right, and I will try to comprehend that in the future.Those who have constantly helped me (veterans, vet groups, historians, etc) are the same individuals who've assisted for years. Any unintended ruffeling of collector feathers I again apologize for. It won't happen again.

Mark C. Yerger
                              Last edited by Mark C. Yerger; 07-21-2006, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X