No announcement yet.

LW Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super photos Batfink! I agree, they look like a Luft Field Division to me as well.

Comment

My thoughts also, thanks for the comments guys

Comment

Forum member Jason v Zerneck (my fellow New Yorker at one point) has generously shown me some of these pictures before.

In #3, #4 and #5, you see two generals with peaked caps and leather coats. The one with the darker coat was Gem Alfred Schlemm, Kmdr 2 LF Corp, predecessor of 1 FjCorp. The one with the lighter coat was GenLt Ruediger v Heyking, Kmdr of 6 LF Div. They were attending a funeral where 74 jagers of the 6 Komp. of a JgBtl were killed when their position was over-run by the Russians.

In #6 and #7, I think the generals were also the two of them. In #7, there was a what looked like Btl Kmdr or senior officer with a DKiG. Since 6 LF Div was not exactly a top flight fighting force and was recently formed, no DKiG holders came from this division.... there was one Div Ia Zabel... I have two conflicting sources. ObstLt Georg Zabel and ObstLt Wolf Armin Zabel. Second man won a DG in 1944 after v Heyking was gone.

Then three remaining Btl Kmdrs who won the award elsewhere:
        CO 1 JgBtl: Hptm Willi Maass, DKiG 14.02.42
        CO 2 JgBtl: ObstLt Karl Fischer, DKiG 13.05.42
        CO 3 JgBtl: Mj Hugo Novak, DKiG 12.12.42
        and Ia Hptm Ernst Friedrichsen, DKiG 24.04.42

In #6 you can catch a glimpse of a Luftwaffe Hptm collar patch... so perhaps Maass or Friedrichsen.

Cheers
        Elwyn

Comment

LW Pics

My God this New Yorker has been here again,
          well done Elwyn had spotted Schlemm,great info
          Alex

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X