Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of new WSS photos

Hi
    Updated my homepage. I have added several hundrets new photos and documents.
    Please have a look and let me know how the page works and what you think :
    http://home20.inet.tele.dk/nordschleswig/

Thanks
    AJ

Hej AJ:

An excellent site, indeed.
    As an American, I have only a surface knowledge of the intricate changes in boundaries that took place in Europe in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.

I suppose I could say that my country was a melting pot that melted fairly successfully, something that did not seem to happen in Greater Europe.

Kingdoms, Duchies, tribes and I know not what more, conquered, were in turn conquered and the common folk just had to adjust to whomever the new "boss" was.

In the 20th century, it seems that advances in communications allowed "marginalized" segments of populations in conquered countries to attempt to re-unite themselves with whatever their original country was. And...this seems to have been encouraged by their country of origin.

I did get exposed a little bit to this when I lived in Sweden in the seventies and had the opportunity to talk to a lot of Scandinavians whose parents or grandparents felt a great link to, in this case, Germany.

By the time I arrived in Sweden, the major second language, almost the first language, was English. But....when my family and I went out into the countryside or up in the North of Sweden where older traditions still lived, the most common second language was German. This experience was also found in our travels in Denmark, Norway and even Holland.

Well, not to write a book here but I am enjoying your site and it adds much to my knowledge of the history of the time we research on this site.

Thank you for that.

Bill

Comment

Hello Alex,

GREAT site !!!!!!!!!

regards
      Peter

Comment

Great pictures,I will share them with my friends.

Comment

thanks

very nice site with wonderful pics thank you

Comment

Sehr gut gemacht AJ...Danke!!
            John

Comment

Rigtig flot arbejde med hjemmesiden. Flotte billeder. ( Very good indeed, very nice work.)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X