Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lappland Shield Document Opinion Request

Hello folks,

Anyone have any thoughts, concerns, or comments regarding this document.

Also included in the set is a soldbuch and drivers license.

All help is appreciated.

Calvin
    Attached Files
    -Calvin Hall, repressed Appalachian American.

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Soldbuch entry
    Attached Files
    -Calvin Hall, repressed Appalachian American.

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Comment

I think it's probably OK though there's some odd things about it.

First off, the unit itself or rather it's members did qualify for the shield, with the exception of those posted to it post-october '44. It spent most of it's existence under the operational command of the 6 Geb.Div. up on the Murmansk front. At the war's end it was moving it's way Southwards through the Fylke (state or county) of Nordland, a little to the South of Bodø if you know where that is. It was interned at a place called Pothus which is where i'd usually expect this doc to have been issued and this is were we get to the first oddity. What was this guy doing in Røros? A town quite a distance away to the South East. There's a number of different reasons i can think of and it would be interesting to see if anything in his soldbuch might give a clue, for example reservation names are often named in the small bits of paper glued in dealing with how much money he was carrying in different currencies and the signed certification stating that all entries are correct. It's a pity the stamp is so bad, i'd like to know what it says. It's also difficult to determine whether the swastika has been removed, which it should be as you can see on the bottom stamp in the soldbuch. A point in this docs favour is the style of it. It's of a type i know to have been in use in this mid part of Norway. I notice that Major has been spelt with a y but that really isn't anything to worry about.

Compare it to this one from my collection, the location Støren is roughly West of Røros. This LW vehicle mechanic also ended the war further North and was moved South because his skills were needed in the general clear up operations of 45\46.
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X