Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS in period documents

Dear all,

Could Gunter d´Alquen and Robert Ley have been wrong about a most elementary fact of the SS? Hardly, I think!

According to the 1939-printed book Die SS by Gunter d´Alquen (e.g. editor of the official SS newspaper Das Schwarze Korps) the term "SS" basically means Schutzstaffeln, i.e. Schutzstaffel in the plural. Here is the complete title of the book SS: Die SS. Geschichte, Aufgabe und Organisation der Schutzstaffeln der NSDAP

As far as I know d´Alquen´s newspaper also stated SS in the plural on the cover - just below the paper´s name Das Schwarze Korps - until the end.

The same is true in the 1943-printed book Organisationsbuch der NSDAP , i.e. SS here too means Schutzstaffeln. The book was edited by Robert Ley. See the book´s section "Die Schutzstaffeln Der NSDAP".

BUT then what then about e.g. the 1944-printed Dienstaltersliste der Schutzstaffel der NSDAP? Here "SS" is only in the singular form. And I understand earlier Dienstalterlisten also used the singular form for the whole organization.

There are of course countless examples of both variants.

Was Schutzstaffeln the most correct variant for the whole SS-organization? Or was it "simply" equally correct to use the singular form for the whole lot?!? Was there perhaps a rule re. Schutzstaffeln/Schutzstaffel that at some stage was changed? If so, when? And how?

And finally I wonder if d´Alquen´s and Ley´s books have been reprinted? I know that d´Alquen´s book has been scanned and posted on the net on several websites. But I´d like a good photographic copy of an original.

Sincerely,

Lars
    Last edited by Lars Gyllenhaal; 02-13-2006, 03:54 AM.

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
X