Signature on KVK 2 document help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signature on KVK 2 document help

Greetings all, I recently acquired this document. Unfortunately the name is obliterated (I was told the awardee is still alive and well at 94 years of age, and this was his wish) but otherwise very nice.
    I can't come up with whose signature it is...the stamp looks like Kdo. 356 Inf. Div., but they didn't stand up until 1 May 1943...and the first commander's name doesn't resemble this at all.
    Any help at all much appreciated.

Hank
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Document
    Last edited by hankmeister; 02-15-2006, 03:11 PM.
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.

Comment

closeup of stamp...brightness manipulated a bit

Comment

stamp, colors reversed

Comment

Hi!

The signature reads Greiser, except unfortunately there wasn't any such General. I checked all the Divisions numerated 35.. and couldn't find even a near match. I suspect something is not right here.

Regards,

Comment

I think i see what's going on here.

Division nachschubtruppen 3 belonged to the 3 Infanterie Divison. That division was of course destroyed at Stalingrad, but, as with many of these lost divisions they were immediately reformed. In this case the 386 ID in France was renamed and re-formed into a new 3 Inf.Div. begining in March of '43 it would later become the 3 panzer-grenadier division.

The signature is that of Swords winner (154th recpient) and later General der panzertruppe Fritz-Hubert Gräser who took over command of the new division as a Generalmajor in March '43.

The stamp is easy to explain. It does look like a 5 i know but it is 386, As you can imagine it takes some time for a division to form and that includes all the little things like new stamps, so until they arrived they would have carried on using their old stamps from the 386 division.

Congrats Hank, the name may be blanked out but you've got the signature of a Swords winning panzer general
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks Simon!

The original recipient also included a short handwritten letter of when he received the medals, but didn't (of course) elaborate. I would have never figured that sig out...Graeser must have been proud of that "a", as large as he made it!

Hank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X